Bottle Aging a Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KettleCorn

Reaction score
Brewed our first batch ever on 3/10/2012.

Some details:
Clean sanitized and used no-rinse acid wash - very clean
8 Qrt Pot
6 Qts water
Bring to Boil
Add Malt Extract (barvarian wheat) 6 lbs
Return to boil
Add 1.5oz hops in mesh bag
boil 55 minutes and add .5oz hops to mesh bag
continue boil 5 more minutes
Now total boil time is 60 minutes

Cooled in Ice Bath to ~72 degrees F

Transfer to Carboy.
Pitched Yeast (WLP300)
Stopper with Air Lock

Got some really active fermentation (Wow!)

Made about 4 gallons - we did not fill completely fill carboy with water. (noobs)
Did not have hydrometer - No SG Reading
Final SG was 1.014

(waited three weeks)
Added ~1/2 cup sucrose in boiling water, cooled, and added to secondary
Bottled on 3/29/2012

So this weekend (thrusday 4/18 to be exact) will be 3 weeks of bottle aging.

I am trying one (or two) on Saturday night. (I'll report back here after):drunk:

ADD FINALLY I COME TO THE QUESTIONS.....
- Will we need more time?
- What does more time do (specifically)?

I thought it allowed time for the CO2 to go into solution and carbonate the beer in the bottle. But there seems to be more "yeast" work and flavor complexity things doing on... Any light that can be shed here is appriciated.

I have done some research but it results in some conflicting answers. The hefs seem to have a reputation for fresher is better. then they also say the longer you wait the better it is and more complex the flavors become....

So... Let me know what you think. thanks.

:mug:

I have a second batch already fermenting - Strong English Brown Ale (like a new castle). We did a partial mesh this time. And added a little extra ACL%
SG initial (in the Carboy) was 1.066.

this is Fun!!!!

I would drink it early ... If you want to experiment, set a six-pack aside for awhile. I drink my wheats after three weeks total -- two to ferment, one to carb in the keg.

I've read (but not experimented myself) that hefes are supposed to be drunk relatively young, not aged. Something about desired flavors from the yeast disappearing over time. But that's not really talking about the couple of weeks it takes to carbonate.

Bottle conditioning your hefeweizen will improve the character of the beer but they are best when young and fresh-within a month IMO. That being said I am currently working on a case that is about 3 months old and it still tastes great!

How about an English Nut Brown Ale...
how long to I keep it bottled?

The longer the better or ~3 wks and drink it up?
Thanks

I agree with Fizzycist. I made a hefe with what I thought was the perfect mixture of banana and clove notes (yeah overly complicated temperature control) and I drank it 3 weeks out and just finished the last bottle 6 months out and they tasted exactly the same. It's just one of those beers great from the git go.

Back