Botanical brew & Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
So this weekend on sunday there is a brewing contest in fort Wayne Indiana. My question is who's going what do you have entered? I myself have 4 entries and am really stoked. This will be my first competition and I'm excited to get some feedback on how my beers taste to someone that isn't me and not a friend. If there are slot going from the forum maybe host a meetup and throw some pictures up here from it. I hope to see some others from here going should be fun. My entries are a stout, American brown ale, wood flavored, and specialty. I might bring some samples if anyone going is up to trade/try. Cheers

So this weekend on sunday there is a brewing contest in fort Wayne Indiana. My question is who's going what do you have entered? I myself have 4 entries and am really stoked. This will be my first competition and I'm excited to get some feedback on how my beers taste to someone that isn't me and not a friend. If there are slot going from the forum maybe host a meetup and throw some pictures up here from it. I hope to see some others from here going should be fun. My entries are a stout, American brown ale, wood flavored, and specialty. I might bring some samples if anyone going is up to trade/try. Cheers

I sent a few beers to this contest still waiting for a flight and best of show winners list. Anyone know if they are going to post winners online?

Carmen who was one of the people running it said they would mail out the notes in a week or so and have them online. They only had 33 entries so they only did best in show at the awards. I'm curious to know how my 4 did also.

Carmen who was one of the people running it said they would mail out the notes in a week or so and have them online. They only had 33 entries so they only did best in show at the awards. I'm curious to know how my 4 did also.

Here are the offical results straight from Carmen:

Honorable Mention- no particular order

Lawrence Pritchard for his American India Pale Ale

Dave Stahl- for his Specialty Beer a Coffee Oatmeal Stout aged on Cacao Nibs

Matt Dressler- for his Robust Porter

Ben Fogt- for his Belgian Pale Ale

Lawrence Pritchard- For his Strong Ale, an American Barleywine

Winners!

Third Place- From the Dark Lager category with a Munich Dunkel that had “dead on” malt character- Dave Stahl

Second Place- From the Spice, Herb or Vegetable category with a Scottish Export 80 made with Heather flowers that “struck a nice balance” and was “very drinkable”- John Vogt

First Place- From the Bock category with a Traditional Bock that was a “well balanced, well made beer”- Dave Stahl

I had two honorable mentions still working on that barleywine recipe just not right yet....

Heres some photos from the event with the exception of the last one it was from the parking garage

image-3909937214.jpg

image-2198444683.jpg

image-2463813070.jpg

image-545580129.jpg

image-2247404796.jpg

image-2355245740.jpg

image-105171516.jpg

image-4251835301.jpg

image-1724696670.jpg

image-2923544857.jpg

image-384158105.jpg

So I finally got my scores was a bit of a gut check on one of mine. This was my first competition though so it's learning experience.
My american brown got a measly 17.6 but would have been a better fit in Christmas beer.
My wood aged got a 27.3 but was too oaky.
My specialty beer received a 28 but was too alcoholy for a pale ale? Which is weird since it's specialty and not supposed to be normal.
And my stout got a 35 "a pretty down the road example of what a stout should be"

Overall I'm ok with how I did for my first competition and less then a year doing homebrewing under my belt hopefully I'll come back strong next year.

Back