Bootleg Biology S. arlingtonesis yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I met Jeff at Bootleg in 2015 when a bunch of us beer nerds who were friends online decided to meet each other in Nashville and visit some breweries. One of the guys new Jeff and we got a private tour of Bootleg Biology.
When we were leaving, Jeff gave a few of us some older S. arlingtonesis yeast to take home and try. Me, not being a huge lager fan and a fan of IPA's and Pales decided to try some. When I got home, I decided to put together a franken-beer recipe that was part Schwatbier, part international black ale and who knows what. Those who read my recipe thought it would likely be a mess. To my and everyone's surprise, it was awesome. It's the one beer all my friends ask me to make over and over again though the yeast is not always available.
My LHBS was able to place an advanced order for a number of Bootleg's yeast so I grabbed me some S. arlingtonesis to do an IPL. Once again I did this without any ideas from others and not knowing what to expect and it also came out great.
Bottom line, if you've used other Bootleg yeasts, you know they're great but if you want to change your lager yeast to something else, give this yeast a chance.
(PSA, Jeff doesn't know me nor am I being paid for this endorsement) :)

Care to share what you get out of this yeast that is different? And what does your fermentation temp look like? I really like BB and have actually banked some yeast from my backyard with them. Love what they got going!

I like that it's a bit drier and slightly fruity and citrusy. I've never gotten sulphors from this yeast though I've read that some do. And, it's a great attenuator too.
I've done fermentation to start at 52 and 55 with no differences noted. Usually after 5 days or so I ramp it up to 62. Once I accidentally got it up to 66 after 5 days and had no noticeable off flavors. I'm sure you could ferment this at 66 the whole time with no problems.
And, unlike some, ultra clean lager yeasts, this one has just enough subtlety to help the malt and hops shine.

I've got a slant of this yeast going right now. I did a blonde ale with it that scored in the high 30s, but I thought it was better than that. I don't see a better way to describe it than "lager-like." Very clean and crisp on my palette.

I haven't gotten the attenuation that others report, but I like it. Next up: Helles.

Back