BOOM fermentation excitement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I finally cracked open my first bottles of my first batch and tested them out. making the first batch was kind of a disaster, first i burnt the malt extract and then i forgot to take the gravity along with some other problems but other than tasting very burnt my american ipa turned out all right.

Eager to make a better tasting beer i am now on my third and fourth batches with one that i just finished bottling one in my fermenting bucket and one in a glass carboy that my buddies dad gave me.

Unfortunately, i did not realize till i had begun brewing that the carboy was only a 5 gallon carboy (i believe) so upon adding my wort, then topping off with water, it was pretty freaking full. after a day or two of fermentation, it blew the makeshift blow off tube that i made right off and sprayed junk all over the ceiling. im hoping that i did not infect the batch when i put a towel over the opening to keep the foam from spraying everywhere while i dunked the stopper in sanitizer shoved it back in the hole and duct taped the crap out of it.

long story short, do i need to worry about anything other than the stopper flying off and wild yeast that i may have introduced? the blow off tube has been getting clogged here and there but eventually the pressure builds up enough and blows everything out. its pretty exciting stuff.

also side questions this recipe calls for adding ingredients into a secondary fermenter which i do not have, is it okay to add them to primary fermentation? if so when would i add them?

IMG_8638.jpg

You are fine. When its that violent, all the c02 coming off the fermentation will prevent any dust from falling in. As long as you re capped it before fermentation slowed youll be ok.

You can add the secondary stuff after the krausen falls.

Go to buckets and skip all the drama! :D The only overflow issues I've ever had have been with wlp530 and that blew the lid off ... repeatedly. Fact is if I were going to ferment more Belgian style beers I'd probably step up to the 7.9 gal wine fermenters to get rid of the problem.

As for your beer, it'll probably be okay.

Thanks for the help! this batch has definitely been the most exciting, i put a hose on the 3 piece airlock and i think the little cross shaped filter type thing keeps clogging so every few minutes it blows all the junk through and bubbles violently out of the blow off tube! i just added more duct tape for good measure haha

Back