Bone dry 16% mixed fruit(cherry, raspberry and strawberry) melomel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhelderman

Reaction score
Primary: I used 9 lbs local wildflower honey, 9 lbs of crushed frozen strawberries, water to 3 gallons of total volume and pitched D47. Starting gravity was 1.122. Also added 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient at pitched and aerated like crazy. Days 2 and 3 I added another 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient. Aerated daily for the first three days, then every other day for about a week.

Sat in primary for about 3 weeks, then I racked to secondary which was broken into 3 different batches-2 one gallon carboys and a half gallon carboy. The half gallon carboy contained 24 oz crushed cherries, one 1 gallon carboy contained 28 oz crushed strawberries, and one 1 gallon carboy contained 28 oz raspberries.

The half gallon of cherry aged mead was racked into a tertiary in the oak barrel and bottled a few weeks ago. The two 1 gallon carboys were combined and racked to tertiary to clear, then bottled last night.

This was my first mead/melomel and overall I'm really pleased and proud of it. I learned some lessons about losing volume to sediment and I'll do some things differently next time.

How's it taste? To finish at 1.000, it seems sweeter than it should. It's not cloyingly sweet by any means, but there's some background sweetness there. I think it might be attributable to the mouthfeel, which is huge and velvety. Maybe tannins as a result of using so much crushed, whole fruit? Anyway, it's good and I'm proud!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473947168.642974.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1473947186.227012.jpg

The D47 yeast is contributing to the mouth feel, it is known for that quality. I really like what is does to apple juice or cider when making a cyser.

Upon second taste, it's good-not great. I still have hopes that this will be really good after aging. Going to try and wait 6 months before opening a bottle to taste.

Back