BOMM yeast substitution WLP570

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfelsch

Reaction score
Getting ready to start my first batch of BOMM. I have been fermenting honey must like crazy for 3 months, but my wife and I have nothing to drink yet. everything has been high gravity with D47. Going to need some aging. I went to my LHBS to purchase yeast and potassium carbonate. They do not carry Wyeast 1388. Looked up the white labs substitute. WLP570 (Belgian Golden Ale). I have the starter on the stir plates, but before I pitch the white labs substitute, I better see if I am OK with the substitute or perhaps I should mail order the Wyeast product. Any experience with using the published substitute?

My understanding is that you cannot substitute a different yeast strain for a BOMM, according to Bray or 'loveofrose' (on this site) the author of BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead). Hopefully he will chime in here!

And while waiting for his input I would order the Wyeast 1388

his website is:
https://denardbrewing.com/

My understanding is that you cannot substitute a different yeast strain for a BOMM, according to Bray or 'loveofrose' (on this site) the author of BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead). Hopefully he will chime in here!

And while waiting for his input I would order the Wyeast 1388

his website is:
https://denardbrewing.com/

Guess I'm typing too slow, sorry!

Ughh. Fortunately I pitched only two hours ago so I guess I can go pasteurize my starter and still use it when the 1388 arrives.

Found another LHBS That carries wyeast 1388. The starter must is pasteurized and I just smacked the pack. I guess I am back in business. :) Thanks for the help!

There is no substitute for Wyeast 1388! Many folks have tried 570 and all say it is not good.

I wonder how much of this has to deal with viable cell count differences. I made mine using 570 and it turned out pretty awesome. No fusels, no noticeable off flavors. However it was a lower abv version so can't say. Around 7.5% iirc

I used WLP570 and it worked great. My only quibble was that my melomel I made with it didn't have as much orange flavor as I wanted; though that's not the yeast's fault. I'll just have to use more orange slices next time.

Hard to believe that there would be big diffrence between these yeasts because they are the same Duvel strain.

Actually, they are not the same yeast. They both were harvested from Moorgat Brewery, but not the same location!

Actually, they are not the same yeast. They both were harvested from Moorgat Brewery, but not the same location!
Okay good to know, do have more specific info on the diffrences of those yeasts? I just acquired a Duvel strain from Swedish yeast lab called Saccharolicious and looking to do some testing with it.

I know this thread is a tad bit old...but relevant to what ive just done.

I made a mead using a spur of the moment recipies that i made up in which I used this WlP570

I guess we will see how it turns out. If its good ill post the recipie

Last edited:
Back