bombs away

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewin

Reaction score
i went to the beer closet this evening and found a blown bottle, it was from a batch i bottled three days ago, i'm leaning towards it just being a weak bottle, i opened up another from the same batch, it had some carbonation but didn't gush or anything, it's got me nervous, any precautions i can take or anything else i can check?

A good precaution might be to enclose them in a strong plastic bag. It will cut down on cleanup time if anymore start to blow.

A good precaution might be to enclose them in a strong plastic bag. It will cut down on cleanup time if anymore start to blow.

I totally agree, I had a similar issue (turns out a couple bottles managed to get more sugar in it than the others, clumped sugar maybe, even tho I add my sugar to the whole batch). What I did was put the whole lot of bottles in their case in a 55 gallon garbage bag and let them finish carbonating. after the first one two more blew and then it was over, clean up consisted of removing the unopened bottles and throwing the rest right into the garbage! way easy

I like to use those Rubbermaid tubs to store anything carbing. With the lid on, it completely contains anyflying glass or liquid; though to date, I've never had a bottle bomb. Regards, GF.

I unfortunately had a gusher bug a few batches ago. I think I lost about 3 bottles. The rest of the bottles were fine though. The bottles that broke were a little thinner than the rest of the other ones and maybe were weaker. The beer tasted ok but definitely not what it was supposed to as basically all the sugar was fermented out and most of the flavor went with it.

Back