Boiling water... Yup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My electric stove is like that. I've been finding that the diameter of the BK should closely match the diameter of the burner being used to get to a boil without a lid. For example,this works with our 4G BK vs the larger diameter 5G BK with 2.5-3G of water. The 5G needs a lid,whereas the 4G doesn't. Still not all that fast,but measurably better.

If you're on an electric stove, yes.

I had the same issue, had a flat top electric stove, the element on an electric doesn't stay on constantly and couldn't get my test pot to boil.
Went to the store and bought a turkey fryer kit. Works good.

Turkey Fryer and outdoor brewing is really the way to go. Ask around, you may have a friend who already has one that you can borrow from time to time.

I have a glass top electric, and some of my everyday pots don't boil well because the bottoms aren't quite flat. I can get 3.5 gallons boiling in my brew pot, though. It's got a very flat, heavy base.

I moved to an outdoor burner because 1) it was taking too long to boil and 2) I was ruining my stove top.

Doing the boil outside is so much better. It boils way faster, and you don't have to worry about making a total mess in your house (or smelling up the house (even though I enjoy the smell, sometimes the SWMBO doesn't)).

I bought a bigger pot and straddled it over two burners. ;) 7 gallons to boil in 20 minutes.

Go to home depot, buy aluminum flashing and get a decent pair of scissors or shears. Then make one of these....

You cut the height of the flashing to match your kettle, make a circle, drill two or three holes, and pop in some small bolts/rivets/machine screws. Then with your scissors, cut down on the top a little bit, every 4-6 inches or so, and bend it inwards so it sits relatively close to the kettle. You can also insulate your lid with foam/foil if desired.

Before this, I couldn't boil 2 gallons. Now I can get a boil over on a 5 gallon batch.

However, before embarking on this project, think carefully about your brewing goals. While this is a cheap and easy $20 solution, that twenty dollars is also about a third of the way to a brew kettle and burner which, perhaps, is really what you want. In my case, outside brewing is out of the question, so the shrouds make sense. YMMV

20120807_030238.jpg

I'm always surprised by these posts. I have a mid - low priced glass top stove and it will boil 2.5 easily. I once ran out of propane right at the boil with 6.5 gallons. I carefully brought it inside and had it back to a boil within 10 minutes.

You might use a top to get to a boil then remove it to allow the boil off of any DMS. though, I have heard that DMS is not much of a concern with extracts as it has already been removed in the making of the extract.

I got a cheapo electric stove and boil can bring 6 gallons to boil, but use something similar to Sir Humpsalot. I went to Home Depot and bought a roll of ducting insulation and made a cover for my pot.

DSCF3891-768x1024.jpg

Works great, though that aluminum shell idea is looking mighty tempting.

Edit: Oh, I think it is important to note I keep the lid on until its at temperature and boiling. After that I remove the lid and let it boil away!

A couple of things I wanted to add--

1. Brad, I think your BK jacket probably holds heat in a little bit better than my shroud, but the trade off is the plastic in the insulation that could catch fire and melt. I guess that's a bit less of a concern with an electric stove, but still, I'd be a little concerned... Be careful! My BK pictured on the right uses a similar product, foam and foil, for the lid. I'm pretty comfortable with using that stuff as a lid, but I wasn't 100% comfortable with using it along the sides, so close to the flame. I also have a pet and so I worry about toxic fumes. I do think your set up is fine and doubt you'd gain much, if anything, by switching to my shroud/shell set-up, except perhaps for a little extra safety.

2. I have thought about using my foam/foil along the upper half, or two-thirds of the shroud. This would add more insulation while still keeping it well away from the flame/heat source. But again, in the event that some flames take hold during a bad boil over, I'd be really worried, so at this time, I am foregoing that idea.

3. I really think everybody should have shrouds like this, even the people with huge outdoor propane burners. I mean, really. Who doesn't want to save on fuel costs? Based on how effective it is in my kitchen, I'd bet this would allow folks to squeeze out at least an extra batch from a tank of propane. It'd pay for itself quickly. Why more folks don't take the time to make one is beyond me (a half an hour in a dedicated shop with supplies on hand, maybe two or three hours if you include the trip to HD and the time it takes to gather the couple of tools you need) . It is definitely a big energy saver, as evidenced by the fact that it takes the same heat needed to almost boil 2 gallons, and allows me to boil 5. What's not to love about that energy savings?

4. One caution is that it gets a little finnicky around the handles. They tend to catch and try to carry the shroud with them. If you aren't careful around the handles, I could envision a situation where you lift a heavy pot of hot liquid, only to discover that the shroud isn't letting go... forcing you to have to decide whether you want to crush the shroud, or try crazy hand-gymnastics to force it off the kettle... while holding near-boiling wort. So my caution here is to be sure it slides off cleanly. I have an exhaust fan above my stove that prevents me from lifting the 5 gal BK straight up. So I have to pull it off the stove and get the shroud to fall to the ground to release it. It works, but the little snag/hang up on a handle gets a little bit dicey, so design well around that area.

5. I wonder how else I could improve on the design....

Definitely a fire hazard, but in the 30 or so batches with the same insulation jacket its yet to happen. It is hard to tell from the picture but there is a good 2-3 inches of space between the bottom of the insulation and the burner to avoid burning. There is a bit of head shrinkage nearly bottom of the jacket though and its getting pretty gross from all the wort that has spilled on it. Its just about time I made a new one...

Home-Brewn1.jpg

This picture gives a better idea of what it looks like. I guess another advantage of the insulation is I was able to cut slots for the handles on the kettle and the jacket also goes around, not over top so its easy to remove. Just open the front of it and slide it off, just like wearing a coat. I use a bit of tape to hold it together during the brew (you can see it in the first image).

Rolling boils in 20-30 minutes or so are pretty common (I timed it a few times).

Back