Boiled Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
Read somewhere that yeast nutrient really is just dead yeast, since they feed on themselves. If I'm short on nutrient could I just boil a spoonful or two of dry yeast and add it to my carboy?

Read somewhere that yeast nutrient really is just dead yeast, since they feed on themselves. If I'm short on nutrient could I just boil a spoonful or two of dry yeast and add it to my carboy?

Yes you can boil some cheap bread yeast or put it with some water in the microwave for about 5 min and that makes some decent yeast nutrient. This creates an almost pure protean mix. I actually find it does not work as well as formulated nutrients by itself. So if I use boiled bread yeast I like to add a nutrient that helps the yeast metabolize the protean. Crushed up B6 tablets or B complex tablets seem to work well for me in the past. One 100mg tablet per gallon is the dose I have used.

Back