"Boiled" yeast fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgmarquez

Reaction score
I wanted to make a Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale clone from More beer but made a huge mistake. I made the starter in the early morning on Monday instead of the afternoon as I usually do. Everything went ok up until the boil inished. Half asleep, I proceeded to put the yeast in the still scaldig flask and then dunked it into my icebath before I realized what I had just done. I got the WL British Ale starter dropped down to 70 degrees in about 15 minute. I figured, I might as well dump the drop of yeast that was left in the vial into the starter.I placed it onto the stirplate and forgot about it until my wife called me this afternoon and said that my yeast had "bubbled over". Sure enough, it had. My question is, is it possible that the drop of yeast and/or the boiled yeast has now fermented? Enough to blow off the foam top of my flask?

Boiled yeast dead

Few hundred thousand or million yeast cells you added from the drops in the bottom of the vial turned into a few billion.

Yeast will multiply in until they have consumed all the nutrients, O2 and sugar available, all that boiled yeast is excellent yeast nutrient.

So here is the catch, depending on how good your sanitation was this could by 99% WL British Ale or 50% WL BA yeast and 50% was was floating around your house. Normally when culturing from slants (ie really low numbers of yeast cells) you use canned (totally sterile wort) and hence you yeast does not have to compete with wild yeast. If you boiled the flask and the bar and had good procedures it is probably good to pitch. I would crash cool, decant and do another starter just to make sure you have enough. With the stuff decanted, smell it, taste it and make sure it does not have anything funky going on. Check the gravity you started with 1.040ish wort so British Ale yeast would attenuate DME to around 80/85% so if it is really low like 1.003 or lower then be suspicious so wild yeast and bacteria will eat more than brewing yeast.

Good luck

Clem

Latest posts

Back