Boiled twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodthebod

Reaction score
Today I brewed a special bitter. Shortly after I began chilling my wort I realized my chiller had a slight leak and was spraying a small amount of hose water into my kettle. I immediately removed my chiller and fired my burner back up. I brought the wort to a boil again for a few seconds hoping to kill anything that had been introduced to the wort from the hose water. I then cooled the wort as normal and pitched my yeast. My question is, how will this return to a short boil affect hop flavor and aroma? I used all ekg's, 1oz at 60 min, .5oz at 20 min, and .5oz at 1 min.
Also, should I dry hop to try to compensate for any loss of aroma, and if so how much?
Thanks a lot for any replies

If "I brought the wort to a boil again for a few seconds" is accurate (I'll even give you a couple/few minutes) you probably didn't modify the recipe hop character that much. But perhaps adding an extra ounce to the dry hop charge would provide comfort...

Cheers! :)

Latest posts

Back