Boiled Peanut Brown Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maconmatt

Reaction score
If you're from the south, you know that boiled peanuts are an awesome snack and can be found at almost any roadside stand in the summer.

While brewing my last beer and watching the boil...I had an idea. Why not do a brown ale and then toss some green peanuts in during boil?

Has anybody done this? Even if not, can anyone add any input into what methods I should try and how many peanuts to add?

The only thing i don't know how to handle is that regular boiled peanuts are boiled with a TON of salt. That's what gives them their signature flavor. I obviously don't want to have salty beer. Are there any hops are other additives that will give me a "salty" mouthfeel without extreme saltiness?

I think this has the potential to be something special!

I made a peanut butter porter...to simulate a reeses peanut butter cup...the issue I had was seperating the oil from the peanuts, so I would recommend using PB2 (a powdered peanut butter), all the peanut flavor non of the oil that will kill your head retention!

Good Luck, hope it goes well!

I made a peanut butter porter...to simulate a reeses peanut butter cup...the issue I had was seperating the oil from the peanuts, so I would recommend using PB2 (a powdered peanut butter), all the peanut flavor non of the oil that will kill your head retention!

When did you add the powder?

I’m guessing you’ve never had boiled peanuts. He’s looking for the flavor of boiled peanuts not peanut butter or roasted or dried peanuts. It is no comparison.

So as far as getting the boiled peanut flavor, I would stop at a stand and ask to get some without the salt. It will help give it that earthy, bean flavor. Then I would experiment with salt to see where the sweet spot is after fermentation. Salt is tricky even in food. Add the carbonation bite and it’s even more tricky. You don’t want to drink an alcoholic boiled peanut - you just want the hint....the essence of what you’re drinking to come out.

Good thinking. I like it. Aren't they usually spicey too? Peppers?

Last post has me thinking. Just buy some and throw them in the mash. If I am correct thats how all unusual beers are made. Capn crunch, cool ranch dorritos, candy, in the mash. Am I wrong? A big styrofoam conatiner of your favorites is bound to leave some tatse. Lightly mush it to get some peanut flavor? Or just put the juice in.

Good thinking. I like it. Aren't they usually spicey too? Peppers?

Last post has me thinking. Just buy some and throw them in the mash. If I am correct thats how all unusual beers are made. Capn crunch, cool ranch dorritos, candy, in the mash. Am I wrong? A big styrofoam conatiner of your favorites is bound to leave some tatse. Lightly mush it to get some peanut flavor? Or just put the juice in.

Lol. When I’ve seen (and bought) boiled peanuts they are in some really nasty looking water. These are ‘green’ peanuts, boiled. I think you might be right - that the water might be perfect!

Not even close in flavors but ive got a maple pecan nut brown going in secondary right now. As far as the prep of the nuts, i roasted 3lbs of pecans in the oven at 250*F for 5 rounds of 12 to 13 min each. I spread them out over paper towels and layered more paper towels over the top of them and pressed them to try and soak up as much oil as i could. Got a significant amount out.

Never had boiled peanuts so i don't really know how to get you close. Figured I'd just give my 2 cents on prepping.

Back