Boiled my mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
So I took a half day off work to brew. After some issues getting my grain crushed I was off. Heated my strike water and mashed in. After the temps had stabilized I noticed I was a few degrees low. I figured I'd run the burners for a few minutes and bring the temps back up. Fired up the burners and went about some other business I came back a few minutes later and notices that my thermometer mounted on the keggle read 150. Perfect. Kill the fire. Just for grins though I checked the temp with another thermometer. It shoots up to like 200. I start stirring frantically and my mounted thermometer shoots up too. So that's where I am now, stirring with one hand and typing this with the other. Can this mash be saved or have I stopped all the enzymes?

Depends on how long it was above 170F, if I recall, it takes about 15 minutes for the enzymes to denature. Drop some ice in there and try to get it down as quick as you can.

couldn't have been long. I don't think even 15 minutes. I've got it down to 152 now. Should I start my mash timer over or should I go ahead and start sparging when I originally planned to? Is there anyway to test if the enzymes have be denatured?

don't start your mash time over....you can check to see if your mash converted with a starch/iodine test. You are probably fine.

Wouldn't this have denatured many enzymes? Seems like a longer mash would be the way to go, but that's just a guess.

Those keggle thermometers are just plain junk. For some reason they always stick like that. I have a friend that says it is because of the stainless keggle, but I am not convinced. I always use a digital with a probe when I mash and stir often when raising temps. Plus I kill the heat before reaching the temp I am looking for, cause it always seems to continue to rise.

I don't think you can blame the thermometer. It works. You just had hot pockets.

I'm don't think that the thermometer is bad. I just need to be double checking my mash temps with another thermometer. I did a 90 minute mash and I tasted the wort and it was sweet (I don't have any iodine). Efficiency was terrible but I has other issues with a slow/stuck mash. Yesterday was the most difficult brew day I've had in forever...

Well, just as an update, the beer came down to 1.016 which was my target gravity but is VERY cloudy. I couldn't see through the little tasting glass that I had. I'm going to cold crash it tonight and see if that helps. Aside from the cloudiness, it's a good beer and I learned a good lesson; Never trust just one thermometer.

Latest posts

Back