boil with fresh pressed apples?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fipilix

Reaction score
going to be doing a few cider batches this year. local farm just got a press to rent out. ive done ciders from apple juice before but never straight from the press. should i boil the cider before fermenting it or can i just press and pitch?

ok. i dont have an issue with that. lol. but what does the boil do to the cider that makes you not want to boil?

ok. i dont have an issue with that. lol. but what does the boil do to the cider that makes you not want to boil?

There are a couple things that happen to cooked fruit. Think of an apple pie apple (cooked) vs a fresh crisp apple. There is a "cooked fruit" flavor to it, and the cooking sets the pectin (think apple jelly).

If you are using fresh pressed fruit, campden tablets (sulfites) or the powered potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) are important to kill microbes and get the must ready for your chosen yeast strain. Some people use the wild yeast on the apples, but it really depends on which yeast strains you've got wild. I can't do that here, at least not with decent results!

Back