Boil size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdeshone

Reaction score
Does it matter how much my boil size is. I'm limited on space and can't boil a 5 gal pot on my stove. Can I boil two gallons and then too it off to five gallons? Will it affect the finish product?

Nope, most homebrewers start this way. You'll get less hop utilization, but kits take this into account. Make sure both waters are chlorine / chloramine free, and you're all good.

If you have a patio, you can get turkey fryers really cheap this time of year, very common for homebrewers. And if you buy a bag, you can go to Partial Mash or Brew in a Bag all grain brewing really cheap.

I have a four gallon pot and do my boils on the stove as well. I steep the grains in about 2 gallons then top up to 3 gallons, bring to a boil and add my extract. I top up the fermenter with bottled spring water to get me my 5 gallons.

I'm hoping to get a 10 gallon pot and burner for Christmas, so that I can do full gallon boils.

Back