Boil-over, how did this happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubberband

Reaction score
I cannot believe this, my wife is pissed and I feel like the A$$ of the month. I have 13 batches under my belt and to date, no boil over problems. Tonight, I make my first yeast starter and the damn thing boils over on the stove. Wife is livid and now I need to figure out how to make starters outside just like the beer boils. I never even thought about a boil over, I mean I am not making beer here, I'm growing yeast. The way, I was typing a thread entry on this board when it happened. Foiled by the brew forum.

I need some suggestions for cleaning up the wort from the cook top. I have a gas stove and the extract made a bullet proof crust on the surface of the drip tray. I am going to try and soak overnight in some PBW. Any foolproof solutions would be appreciated.:(

Yeast starters are a pain. I almost gave up on them until I found foam control. It is one of the best brewing purchase I have ever made.

Tell her to chill... has she ever boiled ANYTHING over on the stove? Stuff happens, not like you burnt the house down. ;)

New drip trays aren't too expensive if it's a run-of-the-mill electric element stove.

Barring that, maybe an overnight soak in OxyClean and hot water, or you could try oven cleaner.

Boil the water, add the extract, stir and remove when dissolved. It takes about 5 minutes only 1 of which the malt is actually in the water.

Just use an anti-foaming agent with the starter wort as well. You are basically making a mini-batch of beer, remember? My LHBS had a small container of an anti-foaming agent used during fermentations of wine. It works just fine with beer and I always add 1 drop to my starter. 5 drops are required per 5 gallons, so a drop does wonders in a 1-2L starter.

I also put this in during my boils when brewing a batch. I've had my wort almost to the top of the kettle without any type of worries about boiling over. I've also noticed that this anti-foam stuff may also help keep vigorous fermentations down without having to add more after the boil.

It never hurts to be too careful. I am trying to stay away from giving the SWMBO ANY reason to cut me off from my brewing. I think a boilover would send her over the edge. And she just gave into kegging.....

Oven cleaner works great, just don't leave it on more than a few minutes and rinse well afterward or it can screw up the stovetop. It's what I used to clean my stovetop when I left my last apartment. I had boiled over wort and starters multiple times, without much cleaning. I was able to get it all off with oven cleaner and a little elbow grease.

And remember...a watched pot never boils. Over.

Latest posts

Back