Boil-over before malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
So today I'm diving back into brewing with a double brew. My ESB was brewed perfectly without a hiccup, my Irish Dry Stout however has threw me a curveball. I steeped the roasted barley for the right amount of time, cranked the heat to bring to a boil, and walked out of the room.... since when can you have a boil-over from the steeped grains (the grains themselves were removed.)

I'm more curious, what caused this, was it a hot break? I've never had that happen before.

I don't want to be too sarcastic here, but . . . (you know what's coming)

Since when do you walk out of the room when you have the heat cranked up for a boil long enough for it to get there?

Steeped grains do impart some protein and other goodies to the kettle liquor, and that will get you a boilover, sometimes. Something like roasted barley (or other unmalted grains) can be especially diabolical that way.

Did you have the pot covered? That will get you a boilover with pure water, and water with all sorts of goodies dissolved in it will take off even faster.

Bottom line on this: If you need to walk out of the room, do a status check on your boil. If you're close, either turn down your heat (way down) or don't leave until you are stable. If you aren't close, try the same protocol. You don't want to be out of the room when you hit a boil.

TL

I agree with TexLaw on this one. I'll go an do other things while I'm mashing, chilling, etc. but once I start to come up to a boil, I never leave the keggle unattended.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, I dunno. I've had a couple of boil-over's when I'm standing over it adjusting heat. I'd hate to see what might happen if I walked away.

Back