Boil or steep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasmcdaniel9

Reaction score
Just done a recipe that is all grain but wasn't sure if I should boil all the grains in Muslim bags or not . So I boiled them together for 60 min adding hops as called for will this work or did I mess up

Just done a recipe that is all grain but wasn't sure if I should boil all the grains in Muslim bags or not . So I boiled them together for 60 min adding hops as called for will this work or did I mess up

It doesn't matter what religious beliefs the bags have, you should have removed the grain before starting the boil

Last edited:
Will it mess up the brew or you think it will be fine I'm still learning all info will definitely help

You never want to boil grains, and it's possible that you may have extracted some tannins from boiling them, but it may not be bad at all. Next time, remove any grains before the wort gets above 170!

Yeah you messed that up. Were you following some sort of guide? I assume it said that you should lift the grain bag from wort at end of mashing.

Since you said bags, even though you said it is all grain, were you doing extract with specialty malt steeping?

"All grain" needs mashing, which is soaking milled/crushed grains at 152-ish for an hour to convert starches to sugar, then remove grain-remnants and boil sugar water, adding hops along the boiling way. Different than the dingle way in Ireland.

Yeah you messed that up. Were you following some sort of guide? I assume it said that you should lift the grain bag from wort at end of mashing.

Since you said bags, even though you said it is all grain, were you doing extract with specialty malt steeping?
No extract just had the recipe with no instructions

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180825-161438_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180825-161438_Chrome.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 119
Did you have the grains crushed?

Did you mash the grains before you boiled them or did you just boil the grains?

Do you have a Hydrometer?

OG of 1.012 is really low. Was that taken at room temp, or a temperature corrected OG?
And you mean that was the OG after boiling before fermenting?

Yes all the grains where crushed and the OG was 1.012

I am assuming then that you didn't mash but went straight to boiling the grains. The recipe in the screen shot you posted doesn't show any values for estimated OG or FG. It does say its a 5 gallon batch and calls for 11 lbs 10 oz of grains. That should yield an OG of approximately 1.060 and a FG of roughly 1.012, depending on your mash technique and equipment.

If your OG was 1.012 after the boil you don't have much, if any fermentable, sugars in the wort. You may have created an alcohol free beer. You can call it Barley Pop.

I am assuming then that you didn't mash but went straight to boiling the grains. The recipe in the screen shot you posted doesn't show any values for estimated OG or FG. It does say its a 5 gallon batch and calls for 11 lbs 10 oz of grains. That should yield an OG of approximately 1.060 and a FG of roughly 1.012, depending on your mash technique and equipment.

If your OG was 1.012 after the boil you don't have much, if any fermentable, sugars in the wort. You may have created an alcohol free beer. You can call it Barley Pop.
Can you tell me what I would need to make it with extract

Where did you get your grains? If there is a Homebrew Supply store near you they could hook you up with whatever you need.

You just skipped a crucial step in All Grain brewing, mashing. You could do the same recipe again with grain, but this time mash the grains. Google BIAB (Brew in a Bag). You will find web sites dedicated to this method of mashing. It’s really very simple. Watch some YouTube videos and you will be making beer in no time.

How big is you kettle? You will need at least a 10 gallon kettle for a 5 gallon BIAB batch. I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 and it is minimal. But, I don’t plan on getting a bigger kettle any time in the future.

If your kettle is smaller, say 5 gallons, do 2.5 gallon batches. If you buy a brewing software like BeerSmith you can take any recipe and scale it to your equipment. And, when you buy BeerSmith you have hundreds of recipes to search from. I’ve used BeerSmith since my second batch. I can’t imaging brewing without it or something similar.

Or, google extract beer recipes. But, watch some YouTube videos on that as well. Extract makes great beer too. The upside is it’s easier and requires less equipment. The downside is an extract brew costs almost double what an all grain costs.

If you choose all grain I suggest BIAB, the additional cost is minimal. I you can buy al Wilser Bag for $22 and it will last for years https://biabbags.webs.com/

Welcome to Home Brewing, stick with it, it’s a fun and rewarding hobby. Like anything else there is a learning curve. I’ve been doing this for 4 years and I am always learning. You picked an excellent place to learn. The folks on HBT are a great resource.

Where did you get your grains? If there is a Homebrew Supply store near you they could hook you up with whatever you need.

You just skipped a crucial step in All Grain brewing, mashing. You could do the same recipe again with grain, but this time mash the grains. Google BIAB (Brew in a Bag). You will find web sites dedicated to this method of mashing. It’s really very simple. Watch some YouTube videos and you will be making beer in no time.

How big is you kettle? You will need at least a 10 gallon kettle for a 5 gallon BIAB batch. I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 and it is minimal. But, I don’t plan on getting a bigger kettle any time in the future.

If your kettle is smaller, say 5 gallons, do 2.5 gallon batches. If you buy a brewing software like BeerSmith you can take any recipe and scale it to your equipment. And, when you buy BeerSmith you have hundreds of recipes to search from. I’ve used BeerSmith since my second batch. I can’t imaging brewing without it or something similar.

Or, google extract beer recipes. But, watch some YouTube videos on that as well. Extract makes great beer too. The upside is it’s easier and requires less equipment. The downside is an extract brew costs almost double what an all grain costs.

If you choose all grain I suggest BIAB, the additional cost is minimal. I you can buy al Wilser Bag for $22 and it will last for years https://biabbags.webs.com/

Welcome to Home Brewing, stick with it, it’s a fun and rewarding hobby. Like anything else there is a learning curve. I’ve been doing this for 4 years and I am always learning. You picked an excellent place to learn. The folks on HBT are a great resource.
Thanks for the info. I may try it again it's all a learning curve. But I'll give it another shot. Thanks again

Welcome to Home Brewing, stick with it, it’s a fun and rewarding hobby. Like anything else there is a learning curve. I’ve been doing this for 4 years and I am always learning. You picked an excellent place to learn. The folks on HBT are a great
I think my kettles are one 10 gallon and another 5 gallon. Also just bought a fermentasaurus and a fast fermenter. So I'm gonna keep at it till I get it mastered.

Ok brewed new batch today of the same recipe but used LME instead steeped specialty grains at 160 F for 30 min sparged grains added to main pot where I added the LME dissolved all LME brought to a boil for 1 hr adding hops as needed cooled watt to 70 F took gravity reading and it was 1.044 is this good or bad. The recipe had no OG or FG reading just the ingredients and hops

You should get a kit, whether all grain or extract, something to point you in a positive direction.

1.044 is still a little on the low side (sad face) assuming your readings are correct. A lot of what you did seems right and you appear to have the desire so that's great. How much LME did you use and where are you getting your information?

The first screenshot is severely lacking. Only a knowledgeable brewer could work with that.

Just as a guide: 5 or 6 pounds of extract will get you a medium-sized ABV. A pound or two of steeping grains will add some nice character. A few ounces of hop pellets added at the beginning and a little at the end would suffice.

You should get a kit, whether all grain or extract, something to point you in a positive direction.

1.044 is still a little on the low side (sad face) assuming your readings are correct. A lot of what you did seems right and you appear to have the desire so that's great. How much LME did you use and where are you getting your information?

The first screenshot is severely lacking. Only a knowledgeable brewer could work with that.

Just as a guide: 5 or 6 pounds of extract will get you a medium-sized ABV. A pound or two of steeping grains will add some nice character. A few ounces of hop pellets added at the beginning and a little at the end would suffice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180825-161438_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180825-161438_Chrome.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 37
I was researching the brown ale they say anywhere from 1.040 to1.060 is in range but wasn't sure. I really wanna make this beer it taste great can't find it here in Texas

I used 7lb LME

Yeah, I saw that one (your original recipe picture). That's the one that doesn't give details. For me, when I started, I would have had a disaster because I didn't have much of an idea of what I was doing.

Last edited:
by "severely lacking" I meant the recipe. Your screenshot was just fine.

I think for this brown ale it may be ok I hope looks like it may be in range hopefully

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180914-095626_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180914-095626_Chrome.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 30
Not following the last comment. Severely lacking. You mean using the LME instead of the 9.04 lb of grain
No, sorry. What was lacking was information for you who's not already familiar with the process. I assumed this since you boiled grain.
So I thought 1.040 was really low as an OG and it isn't. Thank you for the info.

Ah gotcha . Yea I hope it turns out good this time. That last batch I messed up. OMG it smelled freaking funky since there was no alcohol content. But I think this one will be ok. I'm hoping

It would help you immensely to have a COMPLETE recipe. Listing all ingredients and what to do with each when as well as the expected results of those actions. ie. What is your expected OG, FG, SRM, ABV, IBU...? Not the ranges that describe the style and a batch of ingredients.

Where are you getting your recipe from? An experienced brewer could make a fine beer from it but everyone's would be different without specific guidance to an end goal. If you are attempting to duplicate a beer you had before, this will not be the same without instructions.

Where are you getting your grain, hops and DME? They should have kits for something like what you want. They might be able to offer more direct guidance on how to proceed.

I concur with what others have said.

Watch some YouTube videos. There are plenty on Extract brewing, BrewInABag and making all grain beers. Search for extract and all grain brewing instructions. A lot of the mail order supplies have them posted. Read John Palmer's online copy of "How to Brew". You are flying blind and guessing.

It can take a few brew days until you are comfortable with the process, don't get discouraged.

An OG of 1.040 will get you a 4% beer if the yeast works it down to 1.008. Try to get to somewhere where the temp is in the mid to low 60s.

It would help you immensely to have a COMPLETE recipe. Listing all ingredients and what to do with each when as well as the expected results of those actions. ie. What is your expected OG, FG, SRM, ABV, IBU...? Not the ranges that describe the style and a batch of ingredients.

Where are you getting your recipe from? An experienced brewer could make a fine beer from it but everyone's would be different without specific guidance to an end goal. If you are attempting to duplicate a beer you had before, this will not be the same without instructions.

Where are you getting your grain, hops and DME? They should have kits for something like what you want. They might be able to offer more direct guidance on how to proceed.
See that's the thing this beer I could not find a complete recipe this is the only thing I could find on it . It would have been nice to find a 100% clone recipe but had no luck.

I concur with what others have said.

Watch some YouTube videos. There are plenty on Extract brewing, BrewInABag and making all grain beers. Search for extract and all grain brewing instructions. A lot of the mail order supplies have them posted. Read John Palmer's online copy of "How to Brew". You are flying blind and guessing.

It can take a few brew days until you are comfortable with the process, don't get discouraged.

An OG of 1.040 will get you a 4% beer if the yeast works it down to 1.008. Try to get to somewhere where the temp is in the mid to low 60s.
Yes I'm hoping the yeast will eat a lot of the sugar this time since I changed the 2 row grain to LME extract and done the specialty grains the proper way. I did utilize YouTube quite a bit this go round. Got water to around 160 F and just soaked the specialty grains for about 30-35 minutes brought my main water to a boil killed the heat let it stand for a few minutes poured in the LME dissolved all of it then proceeded with the boil. Dumped my specialty grain liquid in with the main boil from there added hop additions as needed ..

Yes I'm hoping the yeast will eat a lot of the sugar this time since I changed the 2 row grain to LME extract and done the specialty grains the proper way. I did utilize YouTube quite a bit this go round. Got water to around 160 F and just soaked the specialty grains for about 30-35 minutes brought my main water to a boil killed the heat let it stand for a few minutes poured in the LME dissolved all of it then proceeded with the boil. Dumped my specialty grain liquid in with the main boil from there added hop additions as needed ..

While this process will probably work it is far simpler to do an extract batch with specialty grains by warming 2 - 2.5 gallons of water to about 160 -170 and steeping the grains for about 20 minutes. You then remove the grains, heat to boiling. Remove from the heat and add your extract. Continue with the boil adding hops at the proper time then top up cool, pour the wort into the fermenter and top up to 5 gallons.

Look at Northern Brewer's extract recipes. Pick one that you find interesting. Scroll down until you see Beer recipe kit instructions. They give a good procedure for brewing an extract.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/

Here is something else to get you going.

https://learn.northernbrewer.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002505093-How-to-Brew-Beer-Homebrewing-101

See that's the thing this beer I could not find a complete recipe this is the only thing I could find on it . It would have been nice to find a 100% clone recipe but had no luck.
If it is a clone of a production beer, someone probably has a recipe. Maybe not identical to yours but with more information. ASK. What is it you are attempting to duplicate? Is Bad Penny the actual name of a production beer?

You could also plug the parts you do have into a free brewing software app and get some idea of expected outcomes such as the gravity readings at various stages.

If it is a clone of a production beer, someone probably has a recipe. Maybe not identical to yours but with more information. ASK. What is it you are attempting to duplicate? Is Bad Penny the actual name of a production beer?

You could also plug the parts you do have into a free brewing software app and get some idea of expected outcomes such as the gravity readings at various stages.

Latest posts

Back