Boil or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronzzza

Reaction score
Hi there I am really new to this. I have just ordered a simple brew kit. As well as a Mexican cerveza extract. Now all the instructions I read online talk about adding the extract as well enhancer to boiling water. My question is this. Are all extracts used this way? As I see ppl saying that they boil as well. Should I be boiling or only adding ingredients to boiled water. Thank you so much. From sunny south Africa

Last edited:
It will depend on the type of kit you get. Some kits contain hopped extract where the amount of bittering is already set. Other kits will have unhopped liquid malt extract (LME) and/or dry malt extract (DME) with the hops kept separate. The hops need to be boiled to create bitterness as the hop oils need to be isomerized. It is also possible to find a kit with hopped extract plus hops kept separate where these hops might be added as the extract is brought to a boil to add flavor or they could be added at the end of fermentation to add aroma (called dry hopping).

If your kit extract is liquid malt extract (LME) I wouldn't boil it regardless if prehopped or not. It is sanitary in the can, and boiling it may contribute negative qualities such an increase in malt flavor and color and, if prehopped, a change in bitterness...basically changing the beer from kit design intentions.

Rather, boil your water for 10 minutes to sanitize, turn off heat, add LME (if you soak cans in separate hot water it helps them pour) and stir.

If using any dry malt extract (DME), sugar, or hops then add these to your water when its warm but not yet boiling, then do the 10 minute boil procedure as above. This will sanitize the water, DME and sugar, and get decent utilization out of the hops.

FYI - if adding hops and recipe has 60 minute addition, you will need to add approximately 2.5-3.0 X as much hops in your 10 minute boil to get similar bittering.

Last edited:
I use the coopers mexican cervesa
More than any other brew it is cheap and taste great I like it with brew enhanser one plus a extra cup of dextrose I have become lazy where I just boil some water dump in the powder and dump I the malt extract then like 4 leters of hot water just to mix it up then the rest with room temperature water to 23 leter mark dump the dry yeast ontop and leave it for 2 weeks in the fermenter I have had no problums with it
I do use a heat belt on the fermenter as well

I use the coopers mexican cervesa
More than any other brew it is cheap and taste great I like it with brew enhanser one plus a extra cup of dextrose I have become lazy where I just boil some water dump in the powder and dump I the malt extract then like 4 leters of hot water just to mix it up then the rest with room temperature water to 23 leter mark dump the dry yeast ontop and leave it for 2 weeks in the fermenter I have had no problums with it
I do use a heat belt on the fermenter as well

Same here. Boil a gallon of water -add to fermentor -add DME ( boil DME if your concerned about sterilizing it), stir well- add your choice of pre-hopped LME, stir well - add enough water to get to 5 gallons, pitch yeast when temp is with in 5-10 degrees of 70. Ferment then keg/bottle. Couldn't be easier. It's how I brew in the hot summer months it only takes 30-45 minutes beginning to end.

My favorite summer brew
1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde Ale
3 lbs Light DME
It as good or better than 1/2 the craft beers on the party store shelves.

Back