Boil Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithchar526

Reaction score
Has anyone used this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BXHL0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

it sounds good and the price is good. I just got my first kit and just need a kettle and im ready. I am the type of person that likes to buy better the first time but I need to prove that I can follow though with making beer before I make a long time commitment. But if everyone has a better recommendation I am game. I think depending on what it comes with I max out around $150 for this. I do like the ones that have the spigot and temp gauge built in better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allot of folks will lead you towards Stainless Steel pots. If you do allot of seaching here you should find that there really is no difference between SS and aluminum, except the price. If you plan on growing your hobby, even though i am new myself, i would recommend a larger pot. less chance of boil overs and room to grow. I found a 60qt part on ebay, free shipping for the same price as the one you listed, of course no burner, but burners can be bought at Home Depot for 40-50 bucks...
have fun................

Has anyone used this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BXHL0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

it sounds good and the price is good. I just got my first kit and just need a kettle and im ready. I am the type of person that likes to buy better the first time but I need to prove that I can follow though with making beer before I make a long time commitment. But if everyone has a better recommendation I am game. I think depending on what it comes with I max out around $150 for this. I do like the ones that have the spigot and temp gauge built in better.

I use that exact setup. My only gripe is that the 7.5 gallon kettle barely leaves enough headspace for a hard rolling boil. (My batches are 6.5 gallons pre boil - end up with 5.5 gallons or so after 60 minute boil).

Fermcap-S is your friend - greatly reduces chance of boil overs.

My recommendation is buy that kit, brew some batches, and if you need to buy a nicer 10-15 gallon kettle down the road. you'll use the original kettle to heat mash/sparge water anyways and to brew smaller batches. And you'll always need the propane burner that comes with the kit.

BTW - don't worry about the aluminum vs. stainless debate. It's pointless. Aluminum is just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
That exact rig is what I used until I found my 48-quart lobster steamer - also aluminum. Works great!

If you have a steady hand on the propane regulator, you won't get a boil-over. I usually boiled 6.5 gallons to get a 5 gallon batch (accounting for trub loss, etc.).

Latest posts

Back