Boil kettle not large enough for 90 min boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hi, I was planning on brewing a Pliny clone today with one of my brew buddies, but he had to travel for work so I am now flying solo. However, he was the one with a larger kettle, so I only have my own gear to work with now.

I have a 7 gal kettle and this is a 6 gallon batch.

Would it be a terrible idea to collect my first runnings, start boiling them, collect the second runnings, add a portion to kettle and 30 min later add the rest? I know my hop utilization and IBUs will be off but that's the only thing I can think of outside of running out a getting a new kettle. This recipe uses first wort hops and hop extract at 90min but then no hop additions until 45 min left.

Here's the recipe: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PlinianLegacy.pdf

Thanks!

+1 to JohnSand's reply/

Thats a good plan, my only suggestion is to add a little at a time as space allows, so that the boil is not terribly interrupted. Maybe heat each small addition in the microwave or in a second pot?

But ruling those out your plan will work as is for sure. And easier than my suggestions.

Take a gallon and toss it in a large saucepan on the stove...boil it down to a syrup for a caramel, malty addition to your beer. I know it will go a little against the pliney clone but I do this with all my big beers and love the results.

I also use it to control flare ups and boil overs...if the break/foam starts rising up, pour a little in to kill it.

Cali, can you give me some details on your stovetop reduction? I tried it once with a Scotch Ale and ended up with a big mess due to lack of attention. What heat settings do you use, how much do you stir, how far do you reduce, any other tips?

I often top up the kettle during the boil. Just be sure to boil at least 20-30 minutes after the last addition. Wouldn't kill you to add a little top off water if you are short volume and high on gravity post boil. I just slowly add it in a few cups at a time so as not to kill the boil.

Two pots will work also, I would use care trying to reduce volume drastically in the second pot to not scorch or excessively caramelize.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Cali, can you give me some details on your stovetop reduction? I tried it once with a Scotch Ale and ended up with a big mess due to lack of attention. What heat settings do you use, how much do you stir, how far do you reduce, any other tips?

First, I only use a pan that I have set aside for this. Not that you can't clean a saucepan well but I just don't want to risk it. I'm doing small batches so I set aside a 1/2 gallon off the bat and just crank it. Wider the pan the better. Make sure it only comes halfway up the pan/pot to avoid boil overs.

I want this boiling as soon as possible so I can get it reduced and added back in around 15 minutes. You can add it anywhere from 30 minutes to flameout. The latest I've done it is 5 minutes left. I tend to add it whenever its reduced to syrup, You can get butterscotch/toffee. All sorts of amazing additions. I picked up dark fruit, burnt sugar and toffee from my last batch.

I don't really stir it at all. Just crank and go. Get back to sparging and getting the kettle to a boil. The cleaner the pot, the less likely anything will stick to it.

Back