Boil kettle not large enough for 90 min boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hi, I was planning on brewing a Pliny clone today with one of my brew buddies, but he had to travel for work so I am now flying solo. However, he was the one with a larger kettle, so I only have my own gear to work with now.

I have a 7 gal kettle and this is a 6 gallon batch.

Would it be a terrible idea to collect my first runnings, start boiling them, collect the second runnings, add a portion to kettle and 30 min later add the rest? I know my hop utilization and IBUs will be off but that's the only thing I can think of outside of running out a getting a new kettle. This recipe uses first wort hops and hop extract at 90min but then no hop additions until 45 min left.

Here's the recipe: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-PlinianLegacy.pdf

Thanks!

You can always keep a gallon or so of your wort in a bucket and add it later after your volume has boiled down enough to add it. IBUs wont change and will end up the same in the finished product. You could also boil a gallon or whatever of the wort in your kitchen in a smaller pot and add it back to the other volume at the end.

I usually boil for 75 min, but I calculate for a 60 min boil and add water as needed.
I've also collected my second runnings in a second pot like Quetzolcotl had mentioned

When I started out, I had a 22qt pot, and making 5 gallon batches was a pain. I used stock/pasta pots, 5 qt sauce pans, and anything that would wort to boil. I am sure my hop utilization was off, but I still got through anyway. I recently brewed a 1.080 beer, and had trouble to not boil over in a 10 gallon pot. As I remember my boil started around 8 gallons, so I had to baby sit the pot for an hour or so, and then start with my hops addition. A place called foodservicewarehouse.com has great deals on pots, both SS, and aluminum. No, I am not afiliated.

Thanks guys. I started a few hours ago but ended up doing what Quetzolcotl said. 20 min left! Thanks again.

Back