Boil ending prematurely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjm805

Reaction score
I've been using Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil, between 45 and 50 minutes in the unit shut off due to the thermostat being clogged up, tried everything to clean it out without having to drain the wort with no luck so decided to take the chance and just end the boil there. Does anyone think there will be a noticeable difference? A couple of things to note, preboil was 5.5 gallons and ended at maybe 5.1 gallons. The recipe also didn't call for hops until after boil has ended (20 minute hop stand) so no hops were added at the beginning or during the boiling stage. 2 days into fermentation now and it's still bubbling with joy luckily. Did not measure OG unfortunately 🤦‍♂️.

It should be just fine. The only time one might need to boil longer is to avoid DMS with some pilsner malts, and even this risk might not be that great.

I recently had my Anvil Foundry shut down after nearly an hour into a 90 minute boil. I ended up with a little more volume and a bit lower gravity... which worked out in my favor since I had a bit more mash efficiency than expected so the gravity I ended up with was exactly what the recipe called for. All in all except for the frustration of my Foundry puking on me the beer turned out really well.

Does anyone think there will be a noticeable difference?
Is there a prize if we guess correctly?

Just wait and see like you'd do for any batch you may have brewed that went perfectly.

But if you had a batch that everything went perfectly then you have something that I don't.

Back