Boil coil Brewers?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that the 120v versions only give you more of an aggressive simmer than a good boil. And they're only available for up to 10 gallon.

I'm a 5 gallon brewer and will never be more. Both my boil kettle and HLT are 10 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The 10 gallon boil coil is only 2250 watts. That is rather light for a 10 gallon kettle IME.
http://morebeer.com/products/blichmann-boilcoil-10-gal-120.html

That's, of course, for the 120v version. The 240V is 3750. I used mine for the first time a couple weeks back and it got 7 gallons of wort from 160ish to boiling in about 20 minutes. I dialed it back to about 80% and still got 1.5 gallons boiled off in an hour. This is in a 10 gallon boilermaker.

That's, of course, for the 120v version. The 240V is 3750. I used mine for the first time a couple weeks back and it got 7 gallons of wort from 160ish to boiling in about 20 minutes. I dialed it back to about 80% and still got 1.5 gallons boiled off in an hour. This is in a 10 gallon boilermaker.

How long to reach your strike temp from 70f?

How long to reach your strike temp from 70f?

Haven't tried mashing with it yet. However, since mash water is significantly less than the 7 gallon boil, I can't imagine it taking longer than my crappy stove which is what I'm using to mash right now.

Cool the only reason I ask is I just pulled the trigger on a 10 gallon G2 w/ a 240v boil coil. By calculation I should be able to get 8.5gal room temp water up to 170 in 35 min. Whether or not that is real world speed is unknown. I'll report back when I'm able to test it out some time after Christmas.

If you have the 240V then I would say without question you want the higher voltage. 120V is very limited in the amount of power it can deliver.

Only time I'd do the 120V coil is if i was doing 5 gallon or less batches, had to go electric, and it was cost prohibitive to get 240V to the brewery location.

I have 2x20G 5500W BCs and the 3500W RIMS rocket (all 240V). I haven't fired either up yet, but I expect it's going to make my electric meter spin real fast. :D

My Boilcoil's (240v ten gallon from greatfermentations) first trial was as follows; In my basement which is around 66 degrees, 16 quarts of 57 degree water out of the tap into the covered ten gallon kettle. At 10 minutes I was at 118 deg. 16 minutes at 150 deg. 20 minutes at 174 deg. Full boil at 27 minutes. I think 16 quarts is a good quantity to approximate just about any 5 gallon batch requirement for strike water. I love it!

I tested my 2-vessel full-volume sort of brutus system today. 8 gallons total volume split between two vessels with a 240V 3750W boilcoil in a 10-gallon G2. Mash tun is a 10-gallon G2 w/false bottom. Recirculating between both vessels while heating it got the 8-gallons from 50 to 150 in about 30 minutes at full power. Valves weren't open all the way, but they were definitely running faster than they would be during a mash.

I love my boilcoil. Did back to back ten gallon batches last friday with it. No way I could have pulled it off with propane.

Its the 10gal 240V version. Works incredible. Faster to temp than the equation from blichmann. Maintained the boil perfectly (with my PID).

Its a lot smaller in diameter than my kettle, I just stirred with my spoon inside the coil to whirlpool. Worked just fine.

I tested my HLT boil coil for the first time last night. It's a 20G G1 pot with the corresponding 5000W coil. I was able to heat ~9 gallons of 49F tap water to 170 in 32 minutes. I was recirculating the entire time. This matches almost spot on with blichmann's published formula: Ramp Rate in °F/minute = 0.0068 X Watts / gallons

My return port has a quasi-whirlpool arrangement (inside the pot i have a street elbow with a hose barb so it shoots sideways in at the top of the pot). There was a mild vortex. Given how low profile the boil coil is, I expect the BK will have a powerful whirlpool when i run that later on this week.

Latest posts

Back