Bock thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmud0314

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I am putting together a bock here and want some input. I have been playing around with it this morning and want your input. It was inspired by Bernie Brewer's Red Baron Bock, but modified it quite a bit to what I have available. I plan on using a very healthy dose of Wyeast 1007, German ale, to ferment with. I know it's not a lager. I accept that. What say you on the ingredients? My concern is that there might be too much crystal type malts. I want it slightly sweet, not oh my god sweet though.

Batch size- 8 Gallons

Grains: Mashed at 151 for 60 min
Vienna- 13 lbs (68%)
Munich 20- 3 lbs (16%)
Crystal 60- 1 lb (5%)
Melanoidin malt- 1 lb (5%)
Caramunich III- 1 lb (5%)
Carafoam- 4 oz (1%)

Hops:
1 oz Hallertau @ 60 min
0.75 Perle @ 60 min

Stats:
OG: 1.065 (assuming 75% eff)
Bitterness: 22.8
IBU:OG- 0.35
Color- 15 SRM

Personally I would take out the C60 completely. I don't think caramel/crystal belongs in traditional lagers. I just made a post about this two days ago regarding Jamil's recipes.

Just off of the top of my head (I formulate my recipes with Beer Alchemy), I'd leave the Carmunich and melanoidin, but also remove the Carafoam. also, if you can do even a single decoction, it will greatly improve the flavor and color in my opinion.

Looks good to me. I would leave out the carafoam, since it is not needed with the c60. If you are worried about too sweet, you may want to knock the Melanoidin down to 1/2 lb.

I'd ditch all the crystal and mash a lil higher instead. it should have a nice malty sweetness with all that malt and low bitterness without the need for crystal.

Thanks everyone. Looks like the consensus is that it's a bit heavy on the crystal type malts. I will cut the C60 and adjust the base accordingly to maintain OG.

Back