Bobbrews Brew Kit info...stretching here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryaned82

Reaction score
Okay, I came upon a score of some brew equipment from a guy that works in my building. Its basically duplicates of everything I already have but there was a few new gadgets I didn't have.That's neither here or there because what's troubling me is an UNOPENED kit he never used.

He can't pinpoint when he bought this over the internet, but its a range between 2-4 years.

Has anyone ever bought from Bobbrews.com in the past at all? That site is now closed and it looks like the guys out of business altogether. I read where they had a physical store that used to be called Brewers Rendezvous in Downey, CA that Bobbrews bought, and then eventually closed to do online business only. I guess I'm just stretching here hoping maybe someone sees this and says "oh ya I bought from Bobbrews back in 2009". I'm going to brew it regardless but was looking for an idea if maybe I should jus get some new LME for it or roll with the 6lbs I got?

BTW - It's a Bobbrews - Wee Drop of Heavy (Scottish Ale)

I assume all the grains are probably no big deal to use whether its 2 or 4 years right? It calls for Fuggle hops so I'll definitely get some fresher hop pellets but everything else seem okay to brew on with?

1lb crushed 60L Crystal, 4 oz crushed chocolate, 1lb crushed Carapils, and 3 oz crushed peat smoked barley.

What's your source though? I've read countless claims for both sides of it with more leaning towards its fine. I'm looking to hear it from others that know from experience by having done something like this in the past. If that's you, elaborate a bit more on your experience.

The crushed grain is probably long stale (within just a few months) and the LME is probably darkened and thickened. The hops, if not frozen, aren't any good, and the yeast is no good. So, I'd say the kit would be not usable.

BUT, you've got nothing to lose so why not try it?

If it is 2-4 years it is probably very funky, especially with LME.

If it is free, give it a shot though.

and source: in brewing classic styles, John Palmers part, he says that LME has a shelf live of 2 years but that is before it is bad, it starts to stale within a few weeks and get extract "twang".

I wouldn't ever buy a kit like that, but seeing as it was included in your score, just brew it. Try dry-hopping the snot out of it to cover up any off flavors of stale malt!!

if you have extra primaries (which it sounds like you do), and have extra time, go for it! could be an interesting experiment :ban:

Back