BlueTooth Wireless RTD Transmitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uke733

Reaction score
I have been playing around with Nordic blue tooth chips and have a decent low power solution for BlueTooth LE Wireless RTD Transmitter. Basically just a dongle that would plug into a RTD.

Is this something that other brewers would be interested in?

Looking for feedback.

Where would you use this?

You could just put a waterproof ds18b20 probe onto an ispindel board. Build the ispindel with esp32 and use gravitymon (or tempmon) firmware. That would be WiFi and Bluetooth thermometer.

Where would you use this?

You could just put a waterproof ds18b20 probe onto an ispindel board. Build the ispindel with esp32 and use gravitymon (or tempmon) firmware. That would be WiFi and Bluetooth thermometer.
I have existing RTDs throughout my brew system like these:

RTD Sensors : Auber Instruments, Inc., Temperature control solutions for home and industry

They are currently hardwired, which is hard to beat from a cost point of view.

I also use them for distilling and the typical cheap PIDs are not that repeatable (or accurate), pretty easy to improve on the accuracy issue and thought why not make it BT while at it? I think I'm probably a small minority on this one, but thought I would verify.

Well I'm not sure whether the rtd sensor is compatible with an esp32. But if it is then it would be worth posting a question in the gravitymon thread. It may well be very straightforward to make them Bluetooth.

MAX31865 is a solution. There should be some other chips/modules, but MAX31865 seems to be a popular one.
MAX31865 or similar ones can convert the readings into digital, and from that the temperature can be processed by any kind of processors, like
- Raspberry Pi
- ESP8266/ESP32, run PID on ESP8266/ESP32
- ESP32, broadcasts/transfers the data over BT or WiFi

Back