Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilssoninlaw

Reaction score
Who's a blues fan? When I was young I'd heard of Howlin Wolf and Muddy Waters and just had to find out who these guys were.
After tracking down records from them, I read liner notes that mentioned some other interesting names who they were influenced by. Names like Blind Blake, Sleepy John Estes, Furry Lewis, Son House, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Big Joe Williams, Peetie Wheatstraw, Kokomo Arnold....
I've been a huge fan of early delta/country blues for years. I like modern blues as well but those early cats were something else.

I enjoy the blues quite a lot. Joe bonamasa did a great album (IMO) live at the red rocks that tributes muddy waters.
One might argue that’s not blues.....yet. His skills can’t be dismissed.
If only I had more money to spend in I-tunes.....

I haven't really listened to blues for a good 10 years, so names might be off a bit.

Big Mamma Thorton
Son House
Sunny boy Williamson
Iman Omar Sharif
Sapphire the Uppity Blues Women
Clarence Carter
Clarence Gate-mouth Brown
Koko Taylor
Bo Diddley
Willie Dixon
Elvin Bishop
Sarah Vaughn
Little Charlie and the Night Cats
Midnight Cowboy
Little Walter
Albert Collins
James Cotton

All I can rattle off for now...

I go in an out of listening to blues, Gypsy Jazz, swing "Americana" and then seem to work around again.
Currently on a Little Water kick....
Want some blues?check this out:

The Second song, "My Babe" was written by bassist Willie Dixon and if you can't dig that groove you're hopeless.

Come from Chicago and love the blues, but ignorant of a lot of names, and lineages, unfortunately. Given my love of jazz, and a great love for gypsy swing, it's inexcusable. My FIL, on the other hand, has an encyclopedia in his mind and body, as he can play the hell out of both cornet and harmonicas in a million keys. Same for my luthier, best friend, who knows this music thoroughly.

Listening to Son House right now (Death Letter; album is "Original Delta Blues," don't know how the album rates but I'm enjoying him again, right now, listening) - thanks to the thread. And thanks for the thread.

I love Son House, he's easily one of my favorites. I found and visited his grave in Detroit, of all places.
Come from Chicago and love the blues, but ignorant of a lot of names, and lineages, unfortunately. Given my love of jazz, and a great love for gypsy swing, it's inexcusable. My FIL, on the other hand, has an encyclopedia in his mind and body, as he can play the hell out of both cornet and harmonicas in a million keys. Same for my luthier, best friend, who knows this music thoroughly.

Listening to Son House right now (Death Letter; album is "Original Delta Blues," don't know how the album rates but I'm enjoying him again, right now, listening) - thanks to the thread. And thanks for the thread.

I get this is a Blues thread, and I've listened to my share of John Lee Hooker, but I'm fond of music from the 70s and 80s...1770s and 1780s! Haha! Kind of a joke very few get.

Q: How do you get a guitar player to quit playing?
A: You put sheet music in front of them.

Q: What do you call a guy who hangs out with the band?
A: The drummer.

Q: How do you make a bass player's car more aerodynamic?
A: You have to remove the PIZZA DELIVERY sign from the roof.

Q: Who's license plate is "NA1 NA2"?
A: Lawrence Welk.

Barbara Morrison while visiting dad in California. Dad's a long long time jazz pianist. He's playing with her in November?? in the Sonora area. Sometimes she brings her own pianist he says, not this time.

Latest posts

Back