Blueberry in secondary made base beer bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballegre

Reaction score
I have to serve this beer at a wedding in 3 weeks. I split a 10 gallon Summer Ale and added blueberry puree to 5 gallons. I sampled the beer before adding blueberry and it was fine. 5 days in secondary and there's a bitter aftertaste. The 5 gallons without blueberry is fine. FG is 1.014 on both. OG 1.051.

I kegged the 5 gallons of base beer (without blueberry) but I decided to give the blueberry more time in secondary thinking the bitterness will ferment out. I'll sample in a couple of days.

Should I just keg it and let it cold condition? Would that be better than leaving in the secondary?

Any ideas what's happening and how to fix the bitter aftertaste?

It's probably some combination of the acid from the blueberries and the extra yeast in solution. If it's done eating the blueberries, then cold-crashing to drop the yeast and whatever else is floating in there should help. You could try back-sweetening, which is easy in a keg and dangerous in bottles. Another idea is adding a tiny amount of salt, as sodium helps mask bitterness.

My brother brewed a beer and added blueberries in the secondary. Had some similar problems. To me, they don't much (good) flavor to anything...cept pancakes

Yeah, well the blueberry wasn't my idea - it was a request from my future daughter in-law and it's HER wedding :) I was able to convince her to make half without.

After letting it ferment for 3 more days, a total of 8 days in secondary on the blueberry puree, the bitterness has diminished substantially. The berry flavor is very subtle (expected) and there's a hazy purple hue (quite ugly actually) but I think it will be fine. I have about 3 weeks to condition. It's cold crashing in the fridge now. I may consider adding a little extract to give the berry a little boost. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies.

Back