Blueberry Belgian Golden Ale help :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis01

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A friend of mine who loves blueberries wants me to make him a Belgian Golden Ale with blueberries in it, so this is what I've come up with. Please let me know if there's something that looks odd in the recipe or if you know how I can improve on it. Thanks again!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Sassy Mike Blueberry Belgian Golden Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Golden Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.7 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 4.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 109.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 gal Boston, MA Water 1 -
10 lbs 9.7 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 79.3 %
1 lbs 15.2 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 14.6 %
13.1 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.1 %
1.30 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop 5 18.4 IBUs
0.65 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 30.0 mi Hop 6 7.1 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.0 pkg Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570) Yeast 8 -
5.5 lbs Fresh blueberries

Mash/ Sparge/ Boil:
1) Place 5.5 lbs of blueberries in freezer overnight.
2)Add 4 gallons cool water to pot and bring to 165 F.
3) Pour grains into sparge bag and put in fermentation bucket. Pour water from step 1 over grains slowly while mixing. Leave to sit for 1 hour covered.
4) Prepare 3.7 gallons of striking liquor by heating more water to 151 F.
5) Remove grains and pour sweet wort into kettle. Pour striking liquor over grains and add this to the kettle. Discard the grains.
6) Bring word to a boil and add Styrian Goldings. 30 minutes into the boil add Styrian Goldings again and frozen blueberries. 45 minutes into the boil add Irish moss.
7) Pour wort into fermentation bucket and let it cool to <80F. Pitch yeast when cool enough
8) Primary fermentation: 7 days. Secondary fermentation: 14 days. Bottle and leave at room temperature for 3 days before moving to fridge for 3 weeks.

The water in step 2 is your strike water (striking water).. The water in step 4 is your sparge water. The fruit should go into the fermenter (primary or secondary it's up to you). Not a half hour into the boil. Your mash efficiency is 109.8% not going to happen. You need to adjust your expected efficiency and measured efficiency to something realistic in beersmith so you can get a better idea of what your OG is actually going to be. A belgian strong will need more than 6 weeks to mellow out also especially with almost a pound of table sugar in there.

Back