Blueberries in secondary- headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I'm making a blueberry wheat and I'm going to rack on top of some blueberries, I'm wondering how much headspace I need?
it's a 2.25 gallon batch in a 3 gallon carboy, once I add the blueberries I don't think there will be any headspace. should I secondary it in my 5 gallon fermenter to allow for fermentation of the blueberries? or do they not ferment that much to worry about it?

Blueberries have serious bugs on their exterior. They can cause lacto infections all day long, and they will ferment. Consider juicing them and using a vodka tincture.

If you're bottle conditioning, you have to adjust the recipe for the dryness you'll get from them fermenting. A good way to do that would be to use lactose powder. If you're kegging it, hit it with sorbate, wait a few days, then add the blueberry juice. Then you can force carbonate.

Thanks, I already did it though.
I took frozen berries, vacuum sealed them and refrozen them, when I was ready I kept them in the bag and heated them up to 170 for a while to pasteurize them, then cooled them to 70 and dumped in the fermenter.

It's cool, mang. RDWHAHB. Sorry I couldn't help sooner. As far as I know, this beer will win an NHC gold as-is!

Back