Blue Tinted 50-year Old Crisa Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiff

Reaction score
So... I recently discovered that a friend's father used to make his own wine back in his youth and is selling all his old carboys. These were only ever used for wine. Figuring that I could always use extra fermenters, I snatched up all 5 of his 5-gallons for $100 flat, OXYed them, scoured off the ancient stickers and they appear to be in excellent condition.

An interesting tidbit though is that they are all tinted blue unlike any of the Italian 6s and 5s I've purchased. They are all about 50 years old and are brand-molded on the bottom with "Crisa 18.9 L - Made in Mexico. 4 of them have the typical textured pattern (ribbed) and one has a cross-hatch pattern with a smooth section that reads " Wine Fermenter".

Does anyone know anything about these? Should I avoid using them for any reason? Would I be better served to sell them to a collector?

Latest posts

Back