Blue Moon made me feel ILL!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naw, I can drink all kinds of beer, homebrew, handcrafted - no problem. Its just the in-your-face- citrus and coriander just did not sit well.

I get really bad hangovers from blue moon. Even if I only have a couple -- and that's all I drink that night -- I will usually wake up with a hangover. I suspect there's an additive in the beer to make it cloudy or for flavor that causes it. I know I'm not the only one; several other people I know have the same reaction.

I suspect there's an additive in the beer to make it cloudy or for flavor that causes it.

Exactly. I'd had a few of these and a few of those prior, but when I started in on the 'Moon, the flavor was not very natural tasting, and really upset my stomach, which is not my usual MO. I can't recall ever having a good time drinking BM actually...

Hmmm...I just made a BM clone, but used a belgian yeast strain, it isn't finished yet. The recipe I used was from one of the first brewers of BM and it only called for 1.25 tsp coriander and .33 oz orange peel in 5 gals. I'm hoping it will even be detectable at all. I'm sure they have changed the recipe a bit over the years, I haven't had the commercial one in a while.

...I'm hoping it will even be detectable at all. I'm sure they have changed the recipe a bit over the years, I haven't had the commercial one in a while.

Hidden notes of citrus/spice is fine, - but I'm not sure what BM is doing, - I hope your brew turns out well!

There's a member here who was a brewer at Sandlot, the origin of Blue Moon, and is very familiar with the Blue Moon process. There is a long thread on this forum regarding a clone, and he was very involved in that thread. I'm certain no mention of a mystery chemical ever came up there. Not saying it isn't possible, but seems highly unlikely considering that guys involvement in that thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

I like Blue Moon still. Shock Top I can't stand, at all. It's horrible...I'd rather drink a Natural Light or Milwaukee's Beast Lite.

I agree that I like my wheats better with WLP400.

A wit doesn't usually have a *hint* of orange. It's usually pretty obvious. I have trouble picking out the coriander, personally, but many others claim to taste it easily as well.

Can't wait to see what Pierre Celis's family will brew up now that they have the name back. Meantime, Allagash White is a very good example of the style for comparison.

My sister and I both have had the same issue with Blue Moon which is a Belgian White. I've tried other Belgian Whites and have actually had an allergic reaction. Hives, scratchy throat, etc. I'm wondering about the possibility of being allergic to certain strains of yeast? I'm pretty sure it's not a wheat gluten allergy because I can eat other wheat products with no issues.

Looks like I'll have to make a batch of something with a Belgian Wit yeast and see if it kills me.

My sister and I both have had the same issue with Blue Moon which is a Belgian White. I've tried other Belgian Whites and have actually had an allergic reaction. Hives, scratchy throat, etc. I'm wondering about the possibility of being allergic to certain strains of yeast? I'm pretty sure it's not a wheat gluten allergy because I can eat other wheat products with no issues.

Looks like I'll have to make a batch of something with a Belgian Wit yeast and see if it kills me.

Pretty sure the gentleman who worked at Coors that helped produce Blue Moon when it first came out stated it was not a belgian yeast but a clean ale yeast such as chico.

Pretty sure the gentleman who worked at Coors that helped produce Blue Moon when it first came out stated it was not a belgian yeast but a clean ale yeast such as chico.

This is true. I've made several batches of Witbier with both types of yeast. I like to call the Blue Moon clone an American Wit as opposed to the Belgian Wit which uses the Belgian funky strain of yeast.

And I prefer the belgian yeast with it's clove and fruit to the american wheats, which taste pretty much like underhopped pale ales to me, unless you add the orange zest and coriander...but I get all the flavor I want from the WLP400 as it is, fermented higher.

It may be the wheat. I can eat wheat products with little effect, but EVERY time I have a beer with wheat in it I get a raging headache and generally feel like crap for a couple days.

I should add that I eat a gluten free/grain free diet 95% of the time, so I may be more sensitive than most, but it surprises me that I have a far worse reaction to wheat beer than wheat based food.

There's a member here who was a brewer at Sandlot, the origin of Blue Moon, and is very familiar with the Blue Moon process. There is a long thread on this forum regarding a clone, and he was very involved in that thread. I'm certain no mention of a mystery chemical ever came up there. Not saying it isn't possible, but seems highly unlikely considering that guys involvement in that thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/

It's just a guess. I remember drinking Blue Moon several years back and not having a problem but in the past 2-3 years I get hangovers very easily from BM unlike any other beer or food. Maybe it's something that changed. Maybe I was just more invincible in my mid-20s.

Is this really a thread about not being able to handle Blue Moon?

Did I get redirected to the Wine Spritzer forum or something?

Mostly its about what they put in it that makes some folks feel sick after drinking it. Nothing more. Enjoy that wine spritzer.

Used to enjoy a Blue Moon every once in a while a few years ago, but the last two times I've tried it they gave me a 5-star hangover after only 2-3 of them. Never again.

Back