Blue moon clone to lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
A few months ago i brewed a double batch of blue moon clone (from the thread on here). I kegged five gallons and finished it off last week, the other five gallons i had left in the secondary for a friend's wife. Turns out she is pregnant and no longer needs five gallons of beer :)

I have been wanting to brew a lambic / sour beer and ordered in a roselare blend and a lactobaccillus pack. I have to leave for three months on tuesday and its not looking good for me to fit in a brew session.

Would i have any luck turning this into a lambic/sour?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
4.5 kg Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium (Great Western) 36.8 2 47.4%
3.6 kg Wheat - White Malt (Briess) 39.1 2.3 37.9%
0.9 kg Oats, Flaked 36.8 1 9.5%
0.5 kg Caramel Malt - 10L (Cargill) 32.2 11.5 5.3%
9.5 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
42.5 g Hallertauer Pellet 6 Boil 60 min 19.27
56.7 g Hallertauer Pellet 4.8 Boil 5 min 4.1
Show Summary View
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
60 L Saccharification Infusion 66.1 C 60 min
-- Mash Out Temperature 75.6 C 10 min
Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
10 ml Irish Moss Fining Boil 10 min
22 ml Coriander Spice Boil 10 min
59 ml Valencia Orange Peel Spice Boil 5 min

Lambic it will never be, but you could make a sour from that beer! One of the best i ever made with a friend was a 3 month old blonde *kolsch yeast* that we decided to sour after drinking the other half. Worked out pretty weel, scored into the 40s twice.

I would not use roes though, there are better options around.

Lambic it will never be, but you could make a sour from that beer! One of the best i ever made with a friend was a 3 month old blonde *kolsch yeast* that we decided to sour after drinking the other half. Worked out pretty weel, scored into the 40s twice.

I would not use roes though, there are better options around.

Thanks! Any suggestions on a bacteria to add?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

East coast yeast if you can get it. Or just make your own blend! Lots of sources right now for lacto, pedio and brett. I have been very happy with the brett from The Yeast Bay. Maybe TYB Brussels + Wyeast pc brevis lacto, and bottle dregs. Diveristy and complexity are your friends. The dregs from many sours can really help you make great beer. Heck plain ale yeast plus a few additions of jolly pumpkin dregs can set you down the right path

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408483055.480699.jpg

Here is what I have. Any suggestions or precious experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

what was the FG of this beer? is there anything left for the bugs to eat? if not, you might need to add some (for example, maltodextrin)

i would add all 3 cultures, unless you have alternate plans for the delbrueckii (the 677 might not do much given your IBUs, but can't hurt to add either).

what was the FG of this beer? is there anything left for the bugs to eat? if not, you might need to add some (for example, maltodextrin)

i would add all 3 cultures, unless you have alternate plans for the delbrueckii (the 677 might not do much given your IBUs, but can't hurt to add either).

I was thinking the same thing.. why not all three lol

FG of the beer is 1.006 so there isn't too much for them to work with.

That is plenty. You could add some maltodextrin if you wanted but, you should be fine. You are going to be pitching a lot of lacto. I don't think it will matter because, like sweetcell said, IBUs will kill most off.

I assume you already left. Hope this works out for you!

I ended up pitching the lacto / roesalare blend before i took off.

Should there be any noticeable activity in the airlock?

Back