Witbier Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya with three small kids I'm in kinda a limbo state. I brew extract when I need to brew fast and AG when I have time and want to brew something special (like Blue Moon). One day when my kids are old enough to be indentured servants, I'll get my sweat shop in place and start rolling out many AG batches ;)

Glad I could help and your cider pics are impressive! :)

Ha - hear you on the kids. What is the sense in having them unless they become your little helpers! haha (don't have kids yet but it is gonna happen soon I think)

Thanks! Like many things - I go big or go home and the cider was no different. it is great having a huge pressing day, and then having fresh and hard cider that lasts you all year. I believe we are going to do the cider event again this year - it was good fun (and free labor).

Alright this one is getting brewed in a 10G batch... finally... this weekend.

I was planning on goosing the grain bill up to 10.5lbs for the flaked wheat and the pale malt each instead of 9lbs (up 1.5 lbs each or total of +3lbs to the grain bill). Basically this would put my starting gravity at 1.051. I don't think this would change anything except boost the abv - any thoughts contrary to that?

Alright this one is getting brewed in a 10G batch... finally... this weekend.

I was planning on goosing the grain bill up to 10.5lbs for the flaked wheat and the pale malt each instead of 9lbs (up 1.5 lbs each or total of +3lbs to the grain bill). Basically this would put my starting gravity at 1.051. I don't think this would change anything except boost the abv - any thoughts contrary to that?

Nope. That's exactly what I did. The starting gravity ended up at 1.052. It's damn close to the real deal and it doesn't taste strong. The only thing I'd personally change in the future is the coriander seed to .50 oz instead of .75 oz.

Nope. That's exactly what I did. The starting gravity ended up at 1.052. It's damn close to the real deal and it doesn't taste strong. The only thing I'd personally change in the future is the coriander seed to .50 oz instead of .75 oz.

thanks for the tip. The only thing I am contemplating right now is... should I add 1-2 lb of oats for my double batch, or wait for next time. Was reading on their site that BMoon has oats in it.

Alright - I am splitting the middle here:
Deltas are:
1. 10lbs Pale (+1lb)
2. 10lbs Flaked wheat (+1lb)
3. 1lb Oats (regular rolled) (new addition)
Estimated S.G. 1.051

Will report back!

Alright - I am splitting the middle here:
Deltas are:
1. 10lbs Pale (+1lb)
2. 10lbs Flaked wheat (+1lb)
3. 1lb Oats (regular rolled) (new addition)
Estimated S.G. 1.051

Will report back!

Please do. I noticed from the blue moon web site that they use milled wheat and flaked oats. I'm very interested in your results since I think I may add oats to the next batch!!

Just got some ingredients for this today. Brew shop didn't have enough flaked wheat so I got:

2# flaked wheat
1# torrified wheat
3# wheat malt
5# marris otter pale

1 oz EKG

WLP400

Wonder how it will turn out given the mix of wheats.

This should be a good base:
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

1.49 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)

0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast #3944 or White Labs WLP400) Definitely want a Belgian Wit yeast though.

Mash your flaked wheat at 155 degrees for 60-75 minutes (the longer will up the efficiency and ABV%)

Strain the wheat grains out and bring wort to boil, add extracts and you know the rest...

Does "flaked wheat" need to be crushed prior to mashing? How do I go about using fresh orange peel? I saw someone mentioned a "zester" but I've never used one before. I'm going by DeathBrewer's Easy Partial Mash directions that call for about 30 min mash time, since this is twice as long how should I keep the mash temp constant? Just add boiled water or does it matter?

I'm brewing PM for the first time with this recipe, currently I've only done two batches of extract+hops and had no intention of jumping to partial mash any time soon. However I'm brewing a witbier for my best friend's wedding and from everything I've read extract only just doesn't cut it so bear with my questions please. Thanks!

Brewed this tonight. Mashed low by error of my own. Ended up up mashing for 2 hours just in case. Came out with a 1.038 as stated. Id expect a tad dryer but shpuld be just fine. Thanks for the recipe from my gf!

Just kegged this last night. Curious if anyone had any recommendations for conditioning on this one. Are you drinking at 4-5 weeks or so? Does this one peak pretty quick and taper off?

Any personal experience with this one is appreciated. I won't have room for it in the kegerator for at least another week or so, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything :)

Thanks!

Just kegged this last night. Curious if anyone had any recommendations for conditioning on this one. Are you drinking at 4-5 weeks or so? Does this one peak pretty quick and taper off?

Any personal experience with this one is appreciated. I won't have room for it in the kegerator for at least another week or so, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything :)

Thanks!

It was fine after 4 weeks although the coriander was a bit strong. It's mellowed a bit after six weeks. Very tasty. It's a great recipe. Did you add the rolled oats? I'm really excited to hear your results. I think there's a good chance your addition will make a dead on match. Keep us posted!

It was fine after 4 weeks although the coriander was a bit strong. It's mellowed a bit after six weeks. Very tasty. It's a great recipe. Did you add the rolled oats? I'm really excited to hear your results. I think there's a good chance your addition will make a dead on match. Keep us posted!

Cool - I will probably let it sit for another week or two in the keg and then carb it and try tasting. I did add the oats, but only 1 lb for 10G batch. From what I read you can use up to 2lbs, but I couldn't get any personal experience with it, so I thought I would shoot for the middle on the addition.

I will post up once I start tasting. I have high hopes for this one :)

oh yeah - thanks for the conditioning info!

So I have mine carbed up and have been trying it here and there since about week 4 (week 5 will be this sat). I think I agree with scoundrel - this one needs to sit for at least 5-7 weeks with the same level of coriander and orange in it. Right now it is getting better, and I can see where this one is going. I am getting a residual bitter orange/coriander aftertaste that is a little funny tasting, but it has been dialing itself down each time I try it. I.e. I think this will mellow out to a very nice brew. On the positive side it is a very crisp brew, perfect in the summer heat. Once that aftertaste trickels off a bit more I think this one is going to be fantastic on its own, or with an orange wedge like a blue moon (though I have yet to toss a wedge in my glass).

Will report back in a few weeks on the mature tasting brew.

Mine is carbed up and amazing. No harsh corriander or orange taste. Very smooth, great aroma and excellent head on it. My girl is in love with the beer. She gives it a 10.

No wyeast smack pack.

Ah I know you like the dry yeast so I thought you went safale 05 like mentioned earlier in the thread by BM

Looks like we are making a liquid yeast user out of you yet ;)

Had another glass of the stuff last night to see how it is coming along (still needs some more time to mellow IMO but it is getting close). However - great flavor coming through, nice fruity floral quality almost, perhaps from the esters. The lacing is just fantastic I must admit. It is almost like meringe on the side of the glass. Great crispness too - really nice. Somebody mentioned that the oats help to take away sweet and add crisp - so I am not sure if that is part of the oat addition or not. However it makes me think that based on blue moon's website, perhaps that is how they use regular malted wheat, and still get the crisp taste, without the sweetness you might get with using a malted wheat.

Took a couple pictures of the brew last night and I will have to post them tonight.

x

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

IMG_4477.jpg

Wow that is gorgeous. How many volumes did you carb to? I have it in secondary and will be kegging soon.

Thanks! She is a pretty brew :)

I did 11.5-12 psi adn my kegs are about 29F and warmer at the top. I would guess that it is about 2.5-2.8 volumes or so.

I've made this 4 times now & love it. My LHBS changed it a little here is what i've made tell me what you think.

5lb xtra light DME
1lb wheat DME
1lb flaked wheat
1oz kent goldings
1oz coriender
1oz bitter orange peel
wyeast 3944

Mmm mm mm. Been sitting in the keg for a week and it's approaching perfect carbonation now. Definitely has improved... becoming smoother, and I'm noticing more of the orange peel coming through. We used less coriander than the recipe calls for and it still tastes great. Smooth, citrusy, super fine bubbles... a truly refreshing summer ale.

Sorry if this was already asked, but damned if I go through 27 pages of replies!

How long does this need to condition before it is ready to drink? I see the term "Belgian" and immediately think of months. Never done a Wit before though. Would 8 weeks (3 ferment, 5 bottle) be long enough? Trying to get this one ready for a party late October.

thanks in advance for any info!

Alright, going to brew this is weekend. Question about your OG:

From my software, at 5.2gallons, the OG should be 1.048 and not 1.038 @75% efficiency. Is this a typo on your part?

38ppg for Pale Malt, 36ppg for Flaked Wheat. Am I to assume this lower FG is because flaked wheat tends towards a lower efficiency?

My main question is if that 1.038 is really my target OG and I should water down the brew if I get better than that, as I want it to be a lower ABV beer as the recipe seems to dictate.

BM- just wanted to say again you have another winner with this one. Took 10 gallons to a buddy's wedding this weekend and came home with none. Definitely not my favorite style (although it is the grooms favorite style) and it was my favorite beer I made. I also brought 10 gallons each of centennial blonde (great reviews there too) and Jamil's Irish red. The wit was the only one that I didn't have any left to bring home.

Call me stuipd but I need some help. Actually you should call me inexperienced. I would like to try this but am confused. Boil size is 6.5 gallons. They mash in with 3.5 gals. and mashout with 3gals. There has to be some loss due to grain absorbtion, so where does the other water come from? Do I just top off or do I batch sparge to get to 6.5 gallons? Thank you

I looked at this after I saw your post in the other forum. I think I'll try it. I'll batch sparge the difference

Ok, I have read every post in this thread, and this was asked three times and never answered that I saw. How do you get a 6.5 gallon boil volume if you mash with 3.5, and mash out with 3? I just got into AG, and I fly sparge. I assume I would just use more sparge water to get the correct preboil volume? Is this a correct assumption, as long as the OG doesn't drop too low?

Ok, I have read every post in this thread, and this was asked three times and never answered that I saw. How do you get a 6.5 gallon boil volume if you mash with 3.5, and mash out with 3? I just got into AG, and I fly sparge. I assume I would just use more sparge water to get the correct preboil volume? Is this a correct assumption, as long as the OG doesn't drop too low?

You need to end up with whatever preboil volume your system requires. i.e. if you need 6.5 gallons preboil and you fly sparge, fly sparge until you have collected 6.5g.

do you use beersmith to get your strike water temps? if you don't, I highly recommend it.

as a batch sparger I simply do the mash and collect the first runnings. Once I have that number (first runnings collected) I subtract it from my desired preboil volume; in this case 13g preboil needed. I collected 5g first runnings so I would need to sparge with 8 gallons to get my 13.

Ok, that's what I figured. I've only done two batches so far. I used the free sparge pal iPhone app. I downloaded beersmith about a year ago when I was doing extract, but never had a chance to look at it. I need to see if I can have the 21 day trial again so I can see if I like it.

Just finished my 4th batch. Left it in the primary 4 weeks & man is it clear. Do you think i messed up? It tasted fine just very clear.

Anyone have trouble with the wlp400 fermenting? I pitched it on Sunday afternoon from a 1 liter starter that was definitely active and I have no airlock activity(I know airlock activity isn't a sign of fermentation). It seems to have a krausen on top so I guess it is doing its job. I am just surprised that nothing is happening.

Anyone have trouble with the wlp400 fermenting? I pitched it on Sunday afternoon from a 1 liter starter that was definitely active and I have no airlock activity(I know airlock activity isn't a sign of fermentation). It seems to have a krausen on top so I guess it is doing its job. I am just surprised that nothing is happening.

If it has krausen on top then something is happening. Use a hydrometer. Check that your carboy is sealed. I have this one sitting at about 2 weeks, went from 1.048 to 1.014. I was hoping it to go drier, but this may be all I get out of it.

I'll check it in about a week, no sense disturbing it yet. I think gas is escaping through somewhere else because it smells awful. :D

Call me stuipd but I need some help. Actually you should call me inexperienced. I would like to try this but am confused. Boil size is 6.5 gallons. They mash in with 3.5 gals. and mashout with 3gals. There has to be some loss due to grain absorbtion, so where does the other water come from? Do I just top off or do I batch sparge to get to 6.5 gallons? Thank you

The easiest way is to figure out your grain/water ratio. I use 1.3 quarts/pound of grain.

So for this recipe which has 9 pounds of grain it would be 3 gallons of water in the mash.

To figure out your sparge amount, just take your final volume with is 5.5 gallons and use that as your batch sparge amount.

Cracked my first bottle of this brew yesterday. 2 weeks primary, 1 week in the bottle. Wheat beer, so young is grand.

Tasted amazing! This is not normally my type of beer, and I would easily enjoy a few in an evening. The orange peel and coriander levels are just right to be present but not strong, acting as a support.

For the orange peel I used fresh, sat back by the pot and shaved the peel off of an orange (mindful of the pith of course). I think that is what really made this one shine, the bright flavor and aroma of fresh peel really came through.

Thanks again for posting up this recipe!

Back