Blowout, now no signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftsman76

Reaction score
Brewing a wheat beer for a special event. After only 12 hours, I had signs of fermentation, a few bubbles a second. Checked again on day two and had a foaming mess all over the top of my fermenter and on the floor. I usually only use a blow off tube on bigger beers, this was only 1.049. I cleaned and sanitized the top, pulled out the krausen filled bubbler and installed the blow off. It settled down and chugged away for about an hour. But then nothing, no sign of fermentation.

My question is, has anyone seen a blowout cause a stuck fermentation. I estimate about 6 -10 oz of yeasty liquid escaped? I don’t think it’s possible to be done with active fermentation after approximately 30 hours. I was careful not to let any liquid that was sitting on top drain in, so infection is unlikely. Only thing i can come up with is I lost enough of my yeast cells, to result in stuck fermentation.

Thanks,

“The nervous fermenter”

You don't mention what yeast was used or what the current gravity is. You mention a top so I'm assuming you're fermenting in a bucket, which are notorious for not being airtight and producing airlock activity.

Check gravity today, check again in a few more days. If it changes, it's fermenting. If not, it may be done depending on where your reading is.

I doubt a blow off caused it to stall

Last edited:
Probably the lid is leaking. No problem, wait a few days then take a gravity reading. Or remove the air lock a peer inside - any Krausen? If so it is still fermenting. If not it may be done with the vigorous portion of fermenting, but may still have a way to go to finish.

It's going fine
The blow off is removing hardly any significant yeast count
Cleaning the top and then seeing no airlock just means leaking top when reinstalled and it's no worry
If it's in a closed space (closet, ferm chamber) I'll bet you still smell the fermentation going as the CO2 escapes
Let it ride

The high proteins of wheat will cause a large krausen. And yes fermentation can be done in 30 hours. Mostly likely a leaky bucket though.

Thanks all for the reassuring responses. Yes it's a bucket, but seems to be sealed tight. Using WY - 1010 American Wheat. Haven't check gravity yet, wouldn't normally at only 30hours.

I will take advice...and repost with outcome.

Reached final gravity no problem, just letting yeast clean up after itself, then to keg. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks all for the reassuring responses. Yes it's a bucket, but seems to be sealed tight. Using WY - 1010 American Wheat. Haven't check gravity yet, wouldn't normally at only 30hours.

I will take advice...and repost with outcome.

It only takes a tiny leak to let the CO2 to escape without bubbling the airlock. Even though the bucket seems to be sealed it probably wasn't. That's why using the hydrometer to check for completion of fermentation is the only method.

Back