Blowoff tube mistake - how bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlucarelli

Reaction score
So I decided to use a blowoff tube for the first time, and me being the rookie that I am, I didn't do enough research. I focused primarily on getting the hose attached properly to the fermentor/airlock, and I didn't even consider the fact that the hoses need to be submerged in water or sanitizing solution. Whoops.

At first I couldn't figure out why my yeast was not bubbling, and I kept thinking I just needed to be patient. So it wasn't until about 48 hours when I realized I needed some liquid in the bucket where the blowoff tube ends are. I submerged the hose ends and shook the fermentors one more time, and it appears they are bubbling today.

But my question is, how much damage did I do in the first 48 hours by having oxygen basically go straight into my beer through the tube? Obviously I'm going to stick with the beer and see how it turns out...but is this a really big concern or not much?

Depends how fast fermentation started. Did you use a starter or a big pitch? If you did, then damage should hopefully be minimal since the pressure of the CO2 would have still been escaping through the tubing, thereby keeping oxygen out.

However there is the chance that a little bit got in while waiting for fermentation to start. But probably no worse than someone sloshing their beer too much when transferring.

I would not worry!

I wouldn't think you're in too much danger since once fermentation picked up, you'd have pretty much a positive flow of CO2 pushing out of the fermentor and the hose. I doubt that much oxygen would've been going into the fermentor, except maybe in the first 12 hours or so. Regardless, don't worry too much, ride it out and see what comes of it. I'm betting you're gonna end up with beer. :)

No harm IMO. With active off gassing of the CO2 from primary I wouldn't worry about it.

You should be fine. Once the fermentation started it would form a protective barrier of CO2 anyways. You would be in more trouble had you not put it in water until after fermentation finished. Then you would risk infection AND oxidization.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies guys. This was my thought, but I just wanted a second opinion.

I actually used dry yeast, so no starter. I wanted to hydrate it a bit, but I was confused because the pack didn't have any instructions on what temp to use. It just said sprinkle dry yeast into wort...so that's what I did. Given that the yeast is bubbling now I think I'll be in decent shape. Will know in a few weeks I guess!

Don't use too much liquid in the catch vessel. An inch in a quart container is plenty. Put that in a bigger vessel in case it overflows. After the fermentation is done, a big temperature or atmospheric change can cause a reverse siphon.

Back