Blowoff setup for better bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best way to set up a blowoff tube with a Better Bottle. The easiest way I could do this now with what I have on hand would be to cap it with an orange carboy hood, and then slide a 1/2" ID vinyl hose over the slimmer of the two ports on the hood. My only concern with this is that the port may be too slim and potentially clog. Has anyone ever used this setup for blowoff, and if so have you ever had clogging problems?

Other suggestions for hooking up a blowoff to a Better Bottle are welcome.

Forget the carboy cap, although that would work. 1.5 in ID vinyl tubing right in the throat of the carboy.
:D

That's what I use, a cap and a tube. I put the included cover cap on the smaller outlet, it doesn't matter if that side plugs or not.

I drilled the rubber stopper that fits the Better Bottle. I forgot the size. Then I made this setup for a nice blowoff system.
AmericanRedAle2.jpg

Blender, are the pipe sections and fittings glued? How do you clean it? Soak with oxyclean?

I like the concept, but I'd be afraid of not being able to get a brush through it.

Even the 1.25 OD hose I used 1 time didn't seem that clean after a soak with oxyclean. I'd really like a proper brush.

I don't understand going through all the trouble of buying and drilling stoppers and making fancy blowoff tubes when you can attach a hose to a cap?:confused:

Blender, are the pipe sections and fittings glued? How do you clean it? Soak with oxyclean?

I like the concept, but I'd be afraid of not being able to get a brush through it.

Even the 1.25 OD hose I used 1 time didn't seem that clean after a soak with oxyclean. I'd really like a proper brush.
No they are not glued.I just pull it apart. I have a small brush that cleans it out if I am in a hurry,otherwise I just soak it for a bit.

I don't understand going through all the trouble of buying and drilling stoppers and making fancy blowoff tubes when you can attach a hose to a cap?:confused:

Heh, That's what I was trying to get at by starting this thread. I have a cap and a hose to fit it, but my only concern is whether it would clog. Now, if I had all the stuff to do another setup, such as 1.5 " ID hose to plug directly into the neck, I'd use that so I wouldn't have to worry about clogging. But I don't, and I don't want to buy it unless I have to.

It's not fancy and took all of about an hour to make. I ferment 5.5 gallons in a 6 gallon bottle so I want the extra dimension of the 1.25 tube.

Back