Blow Off's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
I am done using Airlocks. The past three batches I made blew directly through my airlock and leave me with a mess and having to switch to a blow off anyways. Anyone else have this problem?

I switched to blowoffs early in my brewing adventure to prevent those problems. Reading about other brewer's messes was all it took for me to switch. If I have a beer-splosion then my wife would likely be MUCH less tolerant of my hobby. Therefore I do what I can to protect the beer and my marriage!

I had a very dark 11%abv porter blow the lid off a bucket and splatter the walls and ceiling with krausen. Been using a blow-off tube ever since.

After so many times of cleaning up messes from foam coming through the airlock I decided blow off is the way to go.

I use blowoffs at the beginning of each fermentation as well. Since I started pitching the appropriate amount of yeast, oxygenating with pure O2 and seem to have less than a gallon of head space per 5 gallon batch, I've needed one for each fermentation. The sad part is losing several bottles worth of beer to the blowoff, so I'm thinking about a home made Burton Union ghetto setup!

HolyKrausenBatman said:
The sad part is losing several bottles worth of beer to the blowoff, so I'm thinking about a home made Burton Union ghetto setup!

I've thought about making one too. I have an issue of BYO that shows how to make one.

I've thought about making one too. I have an issue of BYO that shows how to make one.

I came across that same article online the other day and I think that's the exact route I'm going to go as well. It's a pretty good description and looks really easy to set up. Good Luck!

If you do make one HolyKrausenBatman let me know how it turns out.

Back