Blow off valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic20

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting ready to head into my second batch, it'll be an Oatmeal Stout. I think this time around I want to ferment in the glass carboy that came with my kit instead of the brew bucket, since advice has led me to forgo two stage fermentation.

It's only a 5 gallon carboy, so I'm sure I'll run into some trouble with the krausen. Should I look at setting up a blow off tube of some sort? If so, any good, cheap systems I can set up?

That 5G carboy is def way too small to primary a 5G batch,as there'd be no head space. You need the head space for krausen,or you'll be blowing beer out the top during initial fermentation. You need a 6.5G vessel to primary a 5 to 5.5 G batch.

Alright then, thanks! Looks like I'll stick to the bucket til I decide to upgrade to a bigger carboy.

Either way if you end up using your carboy just buy a piece of tubing at a hardware store and attach it to the "post" on the inside of your 3 piece airlock and run the other end into a bottle of sanitizer and water. I have a picture in my gallery showing what I'm trying to explain

Invest in some fermcap and it will be fine.
It is inexpensive, last a long time, and works great. Fill the carboy right below the neck and use a blowoff to be safe.

Blowoff is simple, you can use your current stopper and attach a vinyl hose to the outlet where you normally insert your air lock. Stick the other end in a glass of sanitized water to create the airlock.

I currently ferment in corney kegs using fermcap and only allow 1" of headspace; I use a blowoff tandem to another keg to collect the little bit of krausen foam that I do get. This krausen is rich in active yeast cells so I use this for my next batch.

As the others said; if you don't want to go through this effort you can just use your bucket for primary fermentation.

Back