Blow off tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
So I have read a bunch about people using blow off tubes. Are there common style of beers or yeasts that need blow off tubes or is it more of a random thing?

It depends on a few things: how much headspace you have in your fermentor (the less space the more likely that krausen is going to explode all over your lovely carpet); fermentation temperature (since gas is more expansive at higher temperatures and conversely contracts at cooler temperatures, all that stuff would love to get out of your fermentor if the yeast is kicking at its upper temperature threshold); and whether or not a starter was made -- a starter will likely incur a violent, messy (desirable) fermentation.

I like to have as little headspace in my fermentors as possible and use a blow off hose to get rid of stuff (particles and chemical compounds) that I don't particularly want in my brew. In either case -- a small airlock or a blow off setup -- you're able to make good beer. Just keep some old rags and towels handy in case your yeast really go to town on your batch.

I use a blow-off for every beer for at least the first week. I have not needed one yet but I would regret not using one if I ever had a big fermentation.

I use a 6 gallon better bottle and fill it to 5.5 gallons. I use a blowoff tube on every beer I do, and rarely switch it out with an airlock...I usually just let it go the whole time.

As a newb with only two batches under my belt I'm glad I decided to use a blow-off tube. My first batch (IPA) probably didn't need a blow-off. My second batch (pumpkin dubbel) blew a decent amount of krausen into my bowl of sanitizer only a few hours after pitching the yeast.

I use a 6 gallon better bottle and fill it to 5.5 gallons. I use a blowoff tube on every beer I do, and rarely switch it out with an airlock...I usually just let it go the whole time.

I do the same. I only use and airlock if I'm doing bulk aging in a secondary. I learned my lesson after my first Hefe.

Im thinking his carpet was soiled because he didn't have a blow off tube.

It depends on a few things: how much headspace you have in your fermentor (the less space the more likely that krausen is going to explode all over your lovely carpet); fermentation temperature (since gas is more expansive at higher temperatures and conversely contracts at cooler temperatures, all that stuff would love to get out of your fermentor if the yeast is kicking at its upper temperature threshold); and whether or not a starter was made -- a starter will likely incur a violent, messy (desirable) fermentation.

+1.

And along these lines, if for whatever reason you choose not to use a blow-off hose... underpitch.

I routinely underpitch certain brews to extract more in the way of esters. In such cases I'm also usually pitching around the upper limit of the yeast's recommended temperature range. Using one 'pitchable' tube of White Labs per 5 gals without making a starter (which is underpitching), I've never had need for a blowoff tube, regardless of other variables including yeast strain. This is assuming 5.25 gallons or less in a 6.5 gallon primary, and a well-aerated wort using air (not pure 02).

Is it every really necessary to use a blow-off tube for a 6.5 gallon bucket with regular or even over pitching

i only really use a blow off on high gravity beers or a beer i suspect will ferment violently. Like any fruit beer I make for example. those always need a blow off tube.

Is it every really necessary to use a blow-off tube for a 6.5 gallon bucket with regular or even over pitching

I just did my first extract, a Mexican style, 5 gallons in a 6.5 carboy, one tube of Whites yeast and about 2 cups of starter equaled a HUGE blow off, I barely caught it in time to switch it over to a blow off tube. Otherwise it would have been a very nasty mess.

I myself prefer to be safe than sorry. The first time I used one "just in case". Turned out to be the time I needed to.

I actually split my batches between 2 five-gallon carboys and just stick airlocks on both. It's a bit unorthodox, but works great. I'll definitely go the route of a tube if I end up brewing a few batches at a time and need the cut down on space.

Back