Blow off tube with no sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I just made Yooper's Hoppy Amber and pitched last night with a stater. Now that I think about it (of course after the fact) this thing may take off and I am going out of town for the weekend. I would like to switch the airlock to a blow-off tube so I dont have to worry. The problem is I have zero sanitizer left. What should I use instead? I was thinking bleach and water but I dont want that sucked back in, would regular water work well enough?

It would only take a few drops of bleach in your blowoff liquid to make it a sanitizer and not enough to compromise the beer.

But I don't usually get suckback in my blowoff tubes. Especially if the collection vessel is lower than my fermenter.

Bleach Water will work, you could also make a no-rinse sanitizer out of bleach/water/vinegar. Iodine diluted to the proper concentrations will also work.

CAUTION: Do NOT mix bleach and vinegar directly; it is dangerous!

5gals water
1tbsb bleach
1tbsp white vinegar

Is regular water being too lax about sanitation? That's all I have used so far and had no bad results. I think with the positive pressure of CO2 coming out of the hose you could probably use anything, but better to be safer than sorry.

Is regular water being too lax about sanitation? That's all I have used so far and had no bad results. I think with the positive pressure of CO2 coming out of the hose you could probably use anything, but better to be safer than sorry.

Why use regular water if you have sanitizer or vodka? I'd rather err on the side of caution if I have the choice. FWIW I think that using water, your beer will probably turn out fine, but I'd rather not take the chance if I can help it.

I agree with the better be safe than sorry. I normally don't get suck back either but leaving a freshly pitched brew home alone is worse than leaving a child, I will be worrying all weekend.

Back