Blow off tube question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using a blow off tube for the first time, and I'm glad I am because the yeast was very active the first couple of days. I have the blow off tube in a gallon jar, half full of Star San. With the crud that came through the blow off tube, the jar is now full of a murky yellow liquid.

Since I'm just past day three and planning to leave it in the primary for up to two weeks, should I try to get fresh Star San in the jar or just leave it for the next 10 days or so?

Thanks for your advice!

If the krausen has subsided enough to where there's no longer a huge threat of blow off, you can just switch it out with a regular airlock for the remainder of fermentation.

I normally leave the blowoff tube on for a few days after it stops foaming. I once put an airlock on only to have it kick up some more and make a huge mess.

If the tube is long enough, I think there's a pretty small chance of anything getting sucked back in. Nevertheless, I still get a little nervous about letting the krausen sit there for a week or more. I'd wait until the fermentation has subsided just a little, then change it out for new starsan. When you replace it, you probably don't need a whole 1/2 gallon, just enough to cover the hose opening + an inch or two. Then, after a few more days when you're sure it's not going to cause a huge mess, swap for an airlock.

Back