Blow off tube in sanitizer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharaohpierre

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I left my blow off tube in my sanitizer bucket for about 2 weeks and when I pulled it out today it had like some cream colored liquid on the tube and the tube had turned like a light blue color! Plus, the tube is now sticky. I am using Star San at the recommended amount the direction say to use.

Is this normal, is the blow off tube still ok to use? Thoughts?

Starsan is an acid based sanitizer, I'll bet it ate into the tubing. That's why it's sticky. I'd throw out the tube and buy another. It's not worth risking a bad batch of beer!

I'm not saying it's actually okay, but I've done that numerous times, cleaned the tube, and then used it again. So far it hasn't been an issue for me.

I usually start with a extra long blow off tube, then cut off the discolored sticky end each batch until its to short to use and just start over with another one.

Is it pvc or silicone? Star san will degrade silicone fairly quickly while PVC is mostly resistant although it can become milky.

It's silicone. I tossed it in the garbage and I'm buying an new one. Now that I think about, it shouldn't be that big of a deal because it won't touch the beer anyway. Oh well it was only like 4 bucks

Back