Blow off tube frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeukelman

Reaction score
I have a 4' length of 1/2" blow off tube. I got it from my LHBS where it was coiled up on a large spool. It's quite old now, but still wants to coil.

I run it from my carboy to a small bucket of water. I coil the tube at the bottom of the bucket trying to prevent it from coiling up and out of the water. I'm not always successful though.

Sometimes the end of the tube rises near the top, or out, of the water line in the bucket.

I have to keep tabs on it or it will come out. I've tried recoiling, different sized buckets and even putting something in the bucket of water and on top of the hose to prevent it from coming out completely. I'm not a fan of this idea as I don't want anything to rust in there.

Anyone else experience this? Suggestions? Is there a way to straighten out this hose?

Thanks!

You can try taping the tube to the neck of the bottle. I use a growler with a flip top and use the weight of the top flipped down to keep the hose submerged

Heat it up and tape it to something straight. Or, tubing is cheap. Buy a new blow off tube. It will probably curl up and pull out of the water! ;)

This used to happen to me so I taped it to a 2 x 4 and used a blow dryer. After that, it was fine. Hot water should work too if you can get it hot enough.

Back