"Blow off" during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida286

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my very first batch of beer but have one question before I begin. While my beer is fermenting in the glass carboy, should the plastic tube that allows for yeast bubbles and unwanted impurities to escape be emerged in the wort or simply be flush with the stopper? It seems to me that if the tube was emerged in the wort it would not allow the bubbles on top to escape into a seperate container. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I've always kept my blow off tube flush with the stopper and it has worked fine. I would worry about the pressure forcing wort out of the carboy if you put the blow off tube into the wort.

Yes, the correct method is to have the blow off tube flush with the stopper. If you could find a 1" diameter tube it would fit tightly in the neck of most glass carboys without the use of a stopper.

John

This just sparked a question for me. Does the other end of the blow-off tube need to rest on the bottom of the blow-off container (the one with the water in it)?

Thanks, and sorry to hijack. :D

Nope

The end just needs to be sumerged under the surface of the sanitized water, not all the way to the bottom. allthough it wont hurt anything if you do.

Chimone said:
Nope

The end just needs to be sumerged under the surface of the sanitized water, not all the way to the bottom. allthough it wont hurt anything if you do.
Thanks a ton. I'm going to use the carboy/blow-off method for my next batch.

Back