Blonde Ale Looks Strange ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
I went to transfer my beer AKA: Blonde Ale to the Secondary Sat. eve( This was actually a pilsner that was hop added to bring the IBU's down to a milder taste that I could flavor for Summmer) and When I opened the pail there was some Kreuzen around the edge but some particles were floating around in the
beer. All of my other brews when I transfered had a small amount of the Tan looking yeast at the bottom of pail. This Beer was really thick at the bottom sort of a mung looking sediment. Is it OK ??????

I always have a thick layer of slimy sediment on hte bottom of my Fermenter. Without pictures its hard to say how different yours is, but unless it smells really ****y or something im guessing its just a big cake.

Probably gonna be yummy.

It sounds like it you have krausen still on the sides, you still have some floating, it's probably not finished yet. Have you taken a gravity before contemplating racking to secondary?

How long has it been fermenting? That's <50%, so unless you've already moved it I'd just let it hang out on the yeast for another couple weeks, then check it again and see where you're at. Those floaties will drop out and compact on the bottom like before given enough time.

I did rack to Secondary it is pail in dark area at about 60-65 degrees. Let it sit how long? Before bottle? Corn Sugar or DME ?

Give it another week in the secondary and see if you get any more fermentation. You might have stirred up a little yeast when you transferred it over, and moving them might get them going again. Otherwise give it a taste in a week and see where it stands. If it tastes alright you can go ahead and bottle, otherwise there's a bunch of stalled fermentation threads out there that could help you lower it a little if you are interested.

Back