Blogging about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goggledone

Reaction score
Just recently set up a home brewing blog through blogger.com. Don't know how interested anyone is in reading it, or how helpful it will be, but I thought I'd at least let some beginning brewers in here know about it.

I'll be documenting brew days, giving book and product reviews and all sorts of other stuff in the near future. I also think it's an excellent way for any new brewer to begin documenting their observations throughout the brewing process, so I highly encourage anyone thinking about it to start one of your own.

If you take this as shameless promotion, I'm sorry. I may set up advertising on the page in the future, but as of right now it's simply a way to share my experiences and maybe help someone else out whenever possible.

Here's the link: http://www.homebrewition.blogspot.com/

Well I tried to check it out, but I get this instead:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at http.

Hey, looks pretty cool.

I would suggest though, that you think about different colors/fonts for your type. It's a little difficult to take in when I'm trying to just kick back and read about some beer.

Good luck on the site, and I'll stop by and look for your updates.

Take another visit and give me some feedback on the changes if you could, please! Should be better.

Still don't like the yellow font on the wood background.
What is your purpose for this blog ? What distinguishes it from other beer blogs ? If it's something just to make sure you take notes and document your brew days, it's fine, but if you are serious about getting a big following you might want to think about these two questions.

Hi Pete, looks nice. I don't think you posted the recipe for your Pliny-esque beer - is that because you are concerned that its not yours (since its from a book) or because you don't intend to post recipes generally? FWIW, I enjoy seeing other people's recipes.

I hope you enjoy blogging about your brewing - I find it enhances the avocation and my experience of brewing.

A while ago, I put up a website for our brewing and cidermaking (www.singingboysbrewing.com) for family and friends, and as a way to keep track of recipes, links, and other info. As you would expect, it would get a handful of visitors every month, mainly friends who drank my beer. About nine months ago, something changed and the website now averages 100+ visitors per week, most of whom I don't know. I'm happy to have to these folks looking around, but I'm not sure exactly why they are visiting.

I still use the website primarily to keep track of brewing, to be able to give my friends who drink my beer a link to read about what they are drinking, and document other beer/cider related things that interest me. I do find myself thinking a little now about what these other, unknown-to-me, visitors might find interesting.

Have fun with the blog!

Take another visit and give me some feedback on the changes if you could, please! Should be better.

Looks MUCH better and easier on the eyes. The wood background, however, makes the words on the side a bit tough, since there isn't enough contrast. Overall though, it's much better. :mug:

Papper: I kept the recipe off the blog because it's in the book – even though I know I could share it if someone asked. I'll check out your blog Papper! My plan is to post recipes and brewday notes as I brew beers. So basically I started the blog too late to put the Pliny one up. I could, of course, throw it up there anyway. Let me know if you're interested.

Eltorrente:The wood background isn't ideal. My camera isn't good enough to get a large photo for a background. That'll be next on my list though, as I've got a photographer friend or two with a big expensive camera.

Thanks for checking it out guys!

JFR: Didn't see your response. I'm certainly looking to document my brew days and provide reviews and share information. If that's not interesting to a large group of people so be it. On the other hand, there's no harm in attempting to let people know about it in here.

I probably could have waited to amass several more posts before telling people about the blog, but I decided to go ahead. I hope my posts are interesting to you. If not, I hope you enjoy brewing as much as I do!

Back