Blichmann Tower of Power

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonas96

Reaction score
I need some help here...just switched over to electric. I am using a 10gal Blichmann kettle with the Boil Coil and a Blichmann Electric TOP to control. I tried my first go at things yesterday with an extract batch and had all kinds of problems. I have the temp sensor installed in the boil pot in place of the brewmometer.

It started when I went to steep grains. I set the temp control to 152 thinking that it would hold there (afterall, it is a temp controller). I stepped out of the room for a couple of minutes and then came back in to find the temp was at 170 and rising....not holding like I would have expected.

I finally managed my way through steeping after I got things to cool down by turning the controller off completely. Then the boil! After I finally got a good rolling boil going with the temp controller set to 215 (210 per the controller is about where I got a rolling boil), I again assumed that all would be OK if I stepped out of the room for a bit. After 10 minutes I cam back in to see that the controller had scaled back the power input (still set at my target temp), and my rolling boil was gone. I messed with the power control feature, got my boil back but this occurred 3 times in my 60 minute boil.

Anyone have experience using this thing to control a boil kettle? The Blichmann instructions that came with the thing are, well, as you would expect. Not helpful at all!!

I have nearly an identical setup using a 240v BoilCoil in a 10g G1 kettle. It's setup to be eBIAB. Currently the temp probe is in the same place as yours. I'll be installing a pump soon to recirculate, so the probe will move there soon.

For mashing I ramp up the intensity to 95-100 until I reach the mash temp. Then I bring it back down to 65-70. That held the temp pretty well during the mash.

Is your BoilCoil 120v or 240v? I've read here and elsewhere that the 240v does a much better job.

Is your BoilCoil 120v or 240v? I've read here and elsewhere that the 240v does a much better job.

I have the 240...I guess the part I need to figure out how to use is the power control to moderate power to the unit in order to hold temps.

I have the 240...I guess the part I need to figure out how to use is the power control to moderate power to the unit in order to hold temps.

Not to be a smartass here but for the cost of that unit I would expect the directions and tech support for that product to be top notch? Have you contacted Blichmann?
My understanding is the main reason most blichmann owners go this route is so they dont have to deal with guessing and "figuring things out".... You might find their tech support helpful.

Back