Blichmann HopRocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus_

I say, lookey here son...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been seriously considering buying a Blichmann HopRocket for awhile now (I make a ton of IPA's), and was wondering if anyone had any feedback using pellet hops enclosed in a paint strainer bag (or equivalent) in the device.

I realize that hop pellets are not going to work in the HopRocket like whole hops as far as filtering goes, but if one were to utilize a strainer bag to contain the hop pellets (much like pellets in the boil), would this be sufficient to still get the nice hop aromas without clogging the plate chiller?

Curious if anyone has tried this.

I think it might work if the hops expand enough to put enough pressure on the bag to seal the flow on the sides of the cylinder. And I don't see that happening. Any fold would be a path of least resistance that would push the bag away.

Maybe coffee filters pressed around the o-ring? I just think that the added filter/strainer needs to be separate from the hops.

But still you have fine particles that don't let wort thought them like a whole leaf might. But all you need to do is get them wet and wash out the oils. So would pellets be more like a grain bed?

Back